Chinese Bee Eye fixtures

paulears

Saw ten of the Beyes in action at a WAAPA concert last week, they were useful for interesting texture on the floor, very dynamic beam effects in haze, lots of eye candy effects with built in effects and a very usefull backlight wash light. Ticks a lot of boxes. There was also eight Hi End Shape Shifters which looked ok, but did not appear as useful as they did not have the floor texture effect.

I was going to get some 5kg 90W RGBW wash zooms as compact backlights, but will now have to reconsider.

The cyclone is more a moonflower type thing that when zoomed in looms like a beam (to the best of my knowledge), so It can't do the wash stuff (I think...)

On another note, CP is making a habit of this, and it's not that hard stopping exact copies from being made; you would have thought they would have learnt their lesson from the sharpy.

Not to turn this into a Chinese copy argument but:

1) you can't stop the copies. Even the successful court cases just make them dissolve one brand and pop up as another. All they have to change is the body, the electronics all come from the same production line and go into the new version

2) generally cheap Chinese gear and gen CP gear have different audiences with different budgets. A lot of people still want branded gear for reliability and support and the optics are, on the whole, superior.

So maybe CP just want to spend their money developing the hottest new products, rather than engaging in a never ending up hill battle against the shameless Chinese imitation machine.

On another note, CP is making a habit of this, and it's not that hard stopping exact copies from being made; you would have thought they would have learnt their lesson from the sharpy.

CP made a point of chasing after exact Sharpy counterfiets, clones are a different thing and ADJ had beaten them by a year to a 5R beamlight, brand snobbery helped a bit.

Now Clay Paky`s founder has passd away,Pasquale Quadri who only believed in developing original ideas not copying, and CP belong to Osram.

I was talking about actually stopping counterfeits coming onto the market in the first place.

Getting counterfeits off the market after they have entered (through the courts.etc) is essentially impossible.

However, stopping the factories making counterfeits in the first place is a lot easier than many people think, especially for electronics.

1) Custom ASICs can be only sold to authorized factories in quantities required for production (one of the prime reasons they are used so much)

2) ROMs and Micros need code to be flashed - often the designing company will supply a device to flash these devices, that will only flash a set number without another code from the designing company.

I cannot speak from experience with the mechanical side (only an electronics engineer) but I would imagine it would be easier to copy mechanical bits (no critical bits that you can prevent them doing without authorization)

However, if you maintain factory presence you can do a highly effective job of stopping counterfeits rolling out.

Imitations/clones are a completely different thing altogether.

Also, not knowing either the CP or chinese light, I have no idea if these are imitations or exact duplicates (which could render all this irrelevant)

Archived