Strand Lighting Palette 32/64 with XP

iWoodzy

I've got a Strand Lighting Palette 32/64 Desk with Palette OS Interface V10.6.1. It's using Windows XP on it. As Microsoft doesn't support XP anymore, I was wondering if I can upgrade to Windows 7.

Its got:

- 1.73GHz Intel Celeron Processor

- 1GB RAM

Any Ideas?

I guess you'd need to check with Strand, although the XP on the desk is likely to be embedded XP, so not quite the same as the XP on a PC. Our Strand 300 ran a version of DOS - that didn't stop working when support for DOS ceased http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

I am led to believe that etc are negotiating a licensing deal to enable them to update their consoles which run embedded XP to embedded W7, so maybe Strand will do the same.

EDIT SPaG

From memory - Embedded XP is a lot faster than it's desktop cousin - mostly by not having all the handling for sensing and loading device drivers and doing lots of Human event handling.

You're not going to gain anything by upgrading in terms of speed and it's certainly not insecure because of lack of updates and so on - I would doubt that even if you upgraded the processor and RAM (and to be honest they're likely to be permanently mounted to the mainboard) that you would see any increase in performance.

Embedded edition is still supported in any case: Microsoft

Lots of products out there still run embedded edition (because they were built to a longer life-cycle than software). Ultimately though, if it's not networked the security benefits aren't relevant and it's not like it'll ever have to work with any newer software or hardware.

My view is you don't need to keep updating software just because the person who sells the software says you ought to.

(With a hidden-computer-inside-the-box system like a lighting console, you shouldn't go messing with the operating system ever, unless the console vendor tells you to and gives you the upgrade.)

To be honest after my experience with a strand palette, make sure it doesn't see a lighting rig and you'll be ok. Not bad software but so unstable both with hardware and software faults.

Haaaa! Very good! It's lucky I'd just finished my cup of tea before reading that post!

Archived