Where do consoles go when they die?

Brian

I don't know how many of you have read Rob Halliday's article in this week's Stage on pages 30 and 31?

Several years ago, I got involved with an organisation called NEET whose mission was to take over part of the Jim Law's collection, specifically consoles with some element of 'intelligence' or 'memory'. The aim was to find a permanent home for them, document them and make them available for research. As you can imagine, finding someone to make available, on a permanent basis, several thousand square feet of dry accessible storage was never going to be an easy task and to this day we are still looking.

Recently, other people, as described in Rob's article, have started to realise that the lack of a museum for our industry is a problem that needs to be addressed and steps are under-way to make something happen.

It's very early days; at the moment there is just a very basic website http://www.backstageheritage.org/.

I'd urge anyone interested in our industry's heritage to pop along there and register your interest. Even better, pop along and offer some sort of help and support.

What did happen to all the Gear NEET had?

I don't know what the current situation is, but Bletchley Park (home of colossus) has a number of the old code breaker huts, and a number of small groups run them as museums, there is also a cinema museum on site.

could be a good place to try and set up something as you would get a passing crowed all the time.

What did happen to all the Gear NEET had?

It's all been in store in a number of (inaccessible) locations. About 50% of it was collected last week to go to a more central location as part of the new initiative; two of the remaining stores should be emptied within the next couple of weeks and the desks I'm storing for them likewise.

I don't know what the current situation is, but Bletchley Park...

It might all be sorted now but, from press reports, there has been some friction between the main Bletchley site and the special interest groups housed there. NEET spoke to them several years ago and they weren't able to help.

I passed this on to a few people, there is one person I know who had a LOT of old kit, various units. I will have to have a hunt and see if he is still with us. Knowdout it is £££££ but if the project is back up again maybe a plasa stand like NEET had a few years back?

Having just been to Bletchley, I saw no "special interest" information, other than the Colossus that is separately housed from the main "Code Breaking" museum (and an extra £5 too)

The site is owned and run by something like the Bletchley Park Trust. The National Museum of Computing, which owns Colossus, is a totally separate entity. Also on the site there is (or at least was about 18 months ago) a model railway exhibition, a radio exhibitions (something to do with the RSGB?) and a few other local organisations. The reports I read suggested that Bletchley Park would rather these weren't there.

I passed this on to a few people, there is one person I know who had a LOT of old kit, various units. I will have to have a hunt and see if he is still with us. Knowdout it is £££££ but if the project is back up again maybe a plasa stand like NEET had a few years back?

Hi,

There is going to be a panel on the Sunday afternoon at PLASA with Richard Pilbrow, Rob Halliday, Jim Laws, and Rob Bell - Rediscovering Lighting Control.

Further details to be confirmed.

Shane

They just 'Fade Away'

Unlike Scotch VHS cassettes which "Re-record not fade away, Re-record not fade away, Re-record not fade away, Re-record not fade away......."

Sorry :)

I've got me coat and the taxi's waiting.... :P

Archived