quick Q relating BECTU rates

Digger65

Hi forum

have recently been "promoted" to Chief LX at our provincial (non council) venue as part of a management reshuffle, I wasn't consulted or asked if I wanted to be in the role but as I was performing this task anyhow I didn't really consider it to be anything other than a renaming of my current position..

..however after a brief look at the BECTU rates for a Chief LX I am now considering asking that my wages are brought more in line with this

I just wanted to ask the wise members of this forum whether I had any legal/earned right to demand that I be paid this as it would be a fair hike from what I am now on

many thanks in advance

D :-)

It's pretty normal to ask for a pay rise when your job title and role change to include significant extra responsibility, as it sounds like yours has. The Bectu rates are at least a good bargaining tool but if it's not a union house then they're under no obligation to offer you anything. Mind you, have you already accepted the promotion and new responsibilities? Might be a bit harder to get a pay rise if you're already officially in the new role.

thanks all

as for accepting the role it was all done rather off-hand and "announced" via internal memo, due I think to managerial inexperience, as I say I wasn't consulted or formally offered anything to turn down or negotiate..

I think it may be best to informally chat with my rep?

D ,

Well ... for starters, your profile says that you're self-employed, so that's confusing.

To answer the question, though ... presumably, if the conditions of your employment (job title, responsibilities, your position within the reporting structure/hierarchy, and so on) have changed significantly, then you've negotiated and signed a new contract to replace whatever you were originally working under. The negotiation stage is when you should have spoken out about any concerns you may have over the rate of pay being offered - if you've signed a new contract, you don't really have any grounds to go back and retrospectively argue about a rate of pay that you've already agreed to.

If you haven't renegotiated your contract - then perhaps it's something you should speak to your management about. What was your original job title? Have you always been carrying out the duties of a chief electrician, or is it something that's only become necessary since you've been 'acting up' for a departed/absent member of staff? The range of salaries that chief electricians throughout this land of ours are working for vary considerably, it depends largely on what sort of venue we're talking about here. Producing or receiving? 50 seats or 2000 seats? London, provincial, or out in the middle of nowhere?! Part of a larger group of venues, or small privately-owned theatre? Is it doing well, or is it on its arse financially-speaking? Do you currently have any trade union recognition?

Archived