Events as a Lighting Tech

LXm1k321

Hi Guys

Ive been been working in the industry for about 3 years, ive just completed a technical theater course and gained A* across the board. My Department of specilism is lighting, needless to say im a lampy geek, plasa is like willy wonkas chocolate factory for me. But seriously im looking for work as a lighting tech or event to shaddow a designer on events. However all I keep finding in crewing work, humping and lumping. which I have done alot of over the past 2 years. Im keen, knowledgeable, and task worthy. Any Ideas, Advice, or Jobs???? Theater, festival, conference, architectural any are good to me.

Thanks Guys

I'm also going to have to be the "grumpy old git" here and point you towards this link - barely 10% of the graduates from the "top" drama schools actually got any "proper" acting jobs of any sort within a year of graduating. Obviously the technical world is slightly different but the numbers are also tilted against us; for every lighting op or designer there's a dozen or more people stood on the stage.

In short, don't be surprised that you're not shooting up the career ladder as you'd hoped, instead be grateful you're employed in vaguely the right sector and be a good, dependable worker who everyone trusts. One day when someone needs a designer/operator it's the good dependable junior staff they've worked with before who they will turn to first, not the complete stranger who's sent them a CV and begging letter.

Have you thought about getting a full time job? There is a tendency for everyone to want to be a freelancer, but as a freelancer you're expected to know and to do; whereas full timers, especially those who have joined in junior roles, tend to get more employer support to do training, and work on jobs applicable to their trade and skill level.

Looking at the BR Jobs page, from the last 2 weeks:

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=62218 - AV Tech full time role

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=62211 & http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=62174 - Warehouse roles, great for learning the kit, and how to service and maintain it. A lot of good techs started in the warehouse.

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=62122 - Venue technician at an SU

That's just 2 weeks worth, something suited is bound to crop up if you keep looking?

People. It's who you know that is important, not what you know. I don't think any of my career jumps were from me looking, but others offering. I've just been thinking about my career. I think the only time I ever applied for a job was when I first started out. Since then I've been offered jobs. The same thing seems to apply to all the young people who were good at college. They got one job, did it well and got offered more. I'm not sure humping boxes at festivals really offers the scope to be noticed. So maybe offering your services to some hire companies in your area would be a better chance to get know?

I have to agree with what Paul (paulears) has said. It is how I got where I am today as in doing lighting and these started back about 9 years ago when I was asked by the same person who I sill work for doing stage lighting. and when I started with him I had to a video projection of logos for films that they where doing songs, from now I am doing lighting design and operating lights and a small bit of sound for him. I have been offered full time jobs as a main lighting operator in a few theatres around and also in a few companies as head lighting and repair tech.

All above come from my full time job back then and I still do it on a part time now which is computer repairs.

I would ask around local thertres and lighting hire places to see do they have any work or jobs going and take it from there.

I have looked at the course you have followed and note that the publicity states "After successful completion of the course you may progress to university or enter a wide range of employment opportunities within production arts." Really? Well I suppose the word 'may' keeps it the right side of the advertising standards regulations. The plain fact is that this qualification counts for little, you have to start with whatever opportunity comes along and be reliable. And if there aren't the opportunities where you are you'll have to move to where they are. But be very honest with yourself - have you what it takes (ambition if you like) to keep pestering people for the few jobs going? Few of us do. Very often employers have a policy of giving the job to the one who shows the most persistence. It's as good a system as any IMHO. Oh yes and learn to spell theatre...

Have you decided that Uni is out? Unless you have work dangled in front of you, it might still be a good idea, mainly because not everyone by a long way stays in our industry. My own son, who WAS very good at what we do, and had quite a bit of work has chucked it all in and got a totally different job, wears a suit and earns three times what he earned in theatre and events. If you leave the industry, despite the attitude that degrees are handed out like kebabs, filling in a form and not having one doesn't put you on a level playing field. If you find a niche, the lack of the degree doesn't matter - but if you are just wanting to pay bills, the lack of one does generate questions?

The other bit of advice is to play down all the college productions you were involved in - most people who will be using you know exactly what happens at college, and your A* profile still means you were working on productions with people who didn't even complete. Out of college productions and events count on a CV. Some college productions can be excellent, but most are compromised, and very few operate like the professional world does.

Quite often on here people are moaning because their new graduate knows very little about the real world, and how we work. Don't fall into the hole of pushing your college stuff - it really doesn't mean much at all. Contacts are what you need - and the productions you gain the contacts on are the ones for the CV.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you've forgotten how many employers we have on the Blue Room who might have be able to take your initial post as a job application, and forgive me for telling the truth (and I know a lot of people are going to consider me old fashioned now) but if I were doing just that* then I'd have offered my job to any of the people replying rather than to you. Why? Because I spotted 20 SPaG problems in your one paragraph, whereas the other posts in this thread have 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 (which is intentional) - 4 - 0 - 0. When you add to that the fact that you can't even spell the word that describes where you want to work, it just looks like you can't be bothered with getting the detail right. Now, I do understand that some people are good at English Language skills and others are good at building scenery, for instance, but when I need to build some scenery (which I'm not very good at) then I take especial care, sometimes ask others for help and always check what I've done very carefully in case I've missed something important.

Getting a job is a job in itself and has to be given the same amount of respect as working a show or doing a fit-up. Pay attention to the details and you may find people take you more seriously. I promise I mean the comments in a supportive way because you don't want no-one to tell you how you can help yourself. :)

* ... and I actually work as a Technical Manager in a theatre not too far from where you live

Keep lumping and humping. If you're good enough, with the right attitude, somebody should spot you. It's how most of us got into this business.

Get a good education as most of us old farts moan about the money, time, future prospects and how to get a proper job.

Looking at the people I've taught, then given work to over the years, the ones who did NOT go to uni seem to be the ones working the most. Pushing boxes is how it is, and if you object to it, then you've missed the point. While you are pushing boxes, you get the chance to meet people who can be useful. Suddenly, somebody who you pushed a few boxes for will grab you if you are good. The people who stay pushing boxes without any interest in what is in them are the ones who don't progress.

The A* means nothing at all to most people on here, because 16-18 education does not provide industry experience, just school or college work, which even if you work to a professional standard, the entire show certainly doesn't.

Push boxes and network (I hate that word, but it does work!)

A real person will offer you a job, sometime, maybe not now! It's almost certain that one of your next work providers and interviewers will be here on the forum watching.

You should have been looking for summer work months ago, I often say that Broadstairs, Sidmouth and Whitby folk festivals are largely crewed by volunteers so they take applicants from interested people and try to fit them into something that they could be good at. As they are crewed by volunteers you are not displacing a paid staff member.

Have you decided to leave academia?

Archived