First gig!

Marb

I've been working in and around the entertainment industry for a while, and have just been offered my first gig as a freelancer on the lighting team. I've worked as local crew before, and in small venues, but never on a big arena show.

Apart from turning up on time, what advice would the more experienced BR members offer, both for the gig, and for the prep days?

Thanks in advance,

Marb :)

Yup, that's done, so I should be good to go :)

Does anyone have any advice so I can hit the ground running, especially with regards to any of the following:

1) Things that will really impress/annoy the crew chief and more experienced freelancers

2) Working with/managing local crew

3) Things that will be expected of me that I might not realise

4) Things I should take with me

5) Things I should make sure I know/find out

6) Things I don't even realise I should know, because I'm new to this game and you guys are all seasoned professionals

Thanks! :)

Probably one of the best 'tricks' is knowing how to look busier than you are.

I'd stop worrying, because our industry is so varied there are always new things. The important bit is understanding the jargon, and recognising the bits and pieces. Nothing annoys people as much as having to explain things. Be nice, be normal, and if your role is not majorly technical a leatherman is probably enough, with tools available if required. Just make sure you know the names of bits and pieces, and watch out for how things come, so they get packed away the same way. Make sure the really basic things are sorted - like coiling cables, how to do up a Socapex, or identifying connectors. I'm sure you can do this - but just make sure.

First gig? Difficult.

Two ears, two eyes. two hands, two legs, one mouth; use it in proportion.

Never pretend you know if you don't; ask.

Never leave tools lying around, always return anything you use to where it came from/belongs.

Be willing to make the tea/do the bacon roll run/do the little stuff.

Eat when you can, find the loos early on, keep hydrated, be pleasant and relax, the rest will take care of itself.

Most people will cut you some slack if you are willing and not too obnoxious, we all started somewhere. Nobody should demand you do anything you are not capable of and few will demand what they themselves cannot do.

Be confident but not cocky and you will do absolutely fine. Panic is your worst enemy.

be happy

dont make out you know more than you do

dont try to tell more experienced crew how to do things (at least not on your first job!!)

be a sponge and soak up all the info you can

be willing to do any (work related) task given to you to the best of ability.

crew chiefs look for multi talented people who can fit into any team.

above all enjoy it.

1. Turn up (on time)

2. Be average

They are the best two bits of advice ever given to me.

Number three would be use your common sense but it doesn't sound as hard hitting if I made a three point list. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

Probably one of the best 'tricks' is knowing how to look busier than you are.

Not recommended. When I use Crew, usually have done it myself, so know how long a job will take.

I'd stop worrying, because our industry is so varied there are always new things. The important bit is understanding the jargon, and recognizing the bits and pieces. Nothing annoys people as much as having to explain things. Be nice, be normal, and if your role is not majorly technical a leatherman is probably enough, with tools available if required. Just make sure you know the names of bits and pieces, and watch out for how things come, so they get packed away the same way. Make sure the really basic things are sorted - like coiling cables, how to do up a Socapex, or identifying connectors. I'm sure you can do this - but just make sure.

Agreed, but, depending on what yo are doing in your lighting role, it may be also be a good idea to learn the details of the fixtures they are using. If Moving Heads of a specific brand need DMX addressing, or Pan / Tilt invert, can you do this?

Learning the gear you're working on in advance of the show date, could potentially be a good heads-up for a future employer.

If you get asked to do something you're not sure about, ask. Much better to ask a question than muddle through and get it wrong. Also, if you're asked to do something you're not comfortable with, say so. I've seen people stuck at the top of a ladder frozen with fear, unable to get up or down because they didn't speak up before climbing the ladder.

Okay. Let's assume you know the job you'll be doing--and, if you don't, you'll soon be found out....

If you can do the job, the most likely way to be asked back is to simply "fit in" with the regulars. Listen. See how they work together. Don't be quick to join in on obvious in jokes unless you understand them. Evaluate all the little quirks of how they work together and fit your working style into that. When you have questions, ask them but don't become a pain. Don't try to show off how much you know (or, even worse, say you know a better way to do things).

Be willing to work overtime if asked, at least for the first few shifts. If invited for a beer after work, go--and get to know people.

In short, do the job and fit in with the atmosphere and ethos of the place you're working.

Archived