Lightweight mini active sub for Alto TS110a?

dickiefunk

Hi,

I'm looking for a mini lightweight active sub to use with an Alto TS110a for small acoustic jazz gigs. So far we have been using a single Alto TS110a which has been working out extremely well. However, due to the higher end venue we are unable to use a tripod due to aesthetics and space. I have just bought one of the Alto TS110a's to use as a monitor and have been pleasantly surprised at how nice this speaker sounds considering its price. As a result I'm thinking of trying a mini sub with it to hear how this compares with a single TS112a? I will be putting vocals, piano and upright bass through the pa.Alto make the TS Sub12 a which would appear to be a reasonable match for the TS110a?

Ideally I'd like something around 20kg or under, be very small, have a built in crossover to use with my Alto TS110a and be active.

What alternatives would you recommend?

I've used the DB Opera sub 12's (1st version) these are approx 20 kgs, it has built in crossover etc and were designed for use with DB's smaller Opera speakers. I think they were superceded by the Sub12D which is slightly heavier. We've used them with no problem to for 2-3 years now to give a bit of thump to our 12" active tops.

Hi,

I'm looking for a mini lightweight active sub to use with an Alto TS110a for small acoustic jazz gigs. So far we have been using a single Alto TS110a which has been working out extremely well. However, due to the higher end venue we are unable to use a tripod due to aesthetics and space. I have just bought one of the Alto TS110a's to use as a monitor and have been pleasantly surprised at how nice this speaker sounds considering its price. As a result I'm thinking of trying a mini sub with it to hear how this compares with a single TS112a? I will be putting vocals, piano and upright bass through the pa.Alto make the TS Sub12 a which would appear to be a reasonable match for the TS110a?

Ideally I'd like something around 20kg or under, be very small, have a built in crossover to use with my Alto TS110a and be active.

What alternatives would you recommend?

1407243658[/url]' post='505143']

I've got a Thomann one. One of these: thomann sub. It would probably work for you. They're nicely built and very cheap.

I've seen those but they don't have a crossover/hpf built in. The Alto TS112a's don't have those built in either. Both the Alto TS Sub 12 and DB Technologies Sub 12D have built in crossovers to work with tops that don't.

Ok now we're talking a completely different language http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif I have no electronics skills so would have to pay someone to do this. Also, I wouldn't want to do this whilst the speaker is still under warranty as it would become void.

Build a small passive crossover into the XLR shell of the link lead or into a XLR pass through adaptor

Also, I wouldn't want to do this whilst the speaker is still under warranty as it would become void.

erm how would it void the warranty? your not touching the internals of the speaker

Haven't used the TSSUB12A, but the TSSUB15A is small, well made and powerful. Apart from the rather daft idea of the fixing points for the (optional) wheels being on the bottom, rather than on the back, it's excellent. I'd rate it highly for the cost, and would expect the TSSUB12A to be pretty good too. Max SPL for the 12 is only 3dB lower than the 15, although the frequency range is -10dB at 47 rather than 42Hz. Only 18.6kg.

Yes the Alto TS Sub 12a does look like a potential option. Another budget sub that I've just found is the KAM KAB 12 :-

http://www.kam.co.uk/index.php?action=product&product_id=478

I've not heard of these before so have no idea of sound quality and reliability? The claimed specs look rather impressive but they are a brand I've not come across and am a little dubious about a company I've not heard of?

KAM = disco brand. Does a job, but suspect you'd be disappointed.

25kg, £350-ish (so, pricier than the others you've been looking at), no published SPL figures that I can see.

1407243658[/url]' post='505143']

I've got a Thomann one. One of these: thomann sub. It would probably work for you. They're nicely built and very cheap.

I've seen those but they don't have a crossover/hpf built in. The Alto TS112a's don't have those built in either. Both the Alto TS Sub 12 and DB Technologies Sub 12D have built in crossovers to work with tops that don't.

My response to that would be 'who cares?'. You want to add bass to speakers that don't have enough. However, the Alto sub is cheap too, and you've got Alto speakers, so that would seem the obvious choice. I wouldn't expect the Thomann one to be better, but that's just a wild assumption!

My response to that would be 'who cares?'. You want to add bass to speakers that don't have enough. However, the Alto sub is cheap too, and you've got Alto speakers, so that would seem the obvious choice. I wouldn't expect the Thomann one to be better, but that's just a wild assumption!

It's right to care, as high-passing the feed to your mains will give them more headroom - typically a *lot* of extra headroom.

In practise, however, and especially in the kind of low volume situation I suspect is the target for this, then it shouldn't be a big issue.

Yes agreed about having a high pass filter. Spoke to a dealer who sells both the Alto TS Sub12 and KAM KAB12. He preferred the Alto sub despite the KAM costing more.

I'm torn between the Alto and DB Technologies subs as I'm wondering if the TS Sub12 would be sufficient. I'm guessing the combination of the Alto TS110a and TS Sub12 would have more depth and overall output than a single TS112a?

I'm guessing the combination of the Alto TS110a and TS Sub12 would have more depth and overall output than a single TS112a?

I'd have thought so. You don't typically get much increase in bass when you go up a driver size. You get a little more on paper, but not much practically. A full range speaker is never going to have as full a bass sound as a system with a sub.

I still wouldn't worry about the high pass. A band I work with has got some Mackies with the sub, and I think their system sounds better without the high pass in. The headroom thing is again a bit theoretical. Especially if you're amplifying live music. If you're in a situation where you need the extra headroom that the HPF brings, then you've not got a big enough rig.

Archived