Sennhesier locking jacks

Richard P-W

So it's time to repair a few headsets that have failed in the usual way and I was just about to get the 3.5mm locking plugs from CPC (AV17501) that I've used before when I spotted this alternative at the bottom of the page:

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg02960/jack-plug-3-5mm-stereo-lockable/dp/AV17564

Which at half the price must be worth a look!

Has anyone tried these and can confirm they fit the locking thread on the beltpacks?

thanks

We've got some at work, don't find them as good as the black ones. Out of every 3-4 I pull out of the bag the shield terminal seems to freely rotate in the housing, not too bad in itself but the point where the signal terminal meets the housing is square, and they easily meet, making everything pop where the signal shorts out. I'll see if I can take a photo on Monday when I'm back from site.

I had some for the very same (price) reason to try a while back and did NOT find them worth the saving. I had a couple that wouldn't screw on properly, and one that for some reason just wouldn't grp the cable very well.

Stick with the black ones. They're still less than 32 each, so hardly bank breaking.

Thanks for the replies, it seems the quality will be variable!

I hadn't spotted the mono ones, in theory they could be more robust and it's always puzzled me why the mics use a stereo jack when sleeve and ring are shorted out anyway.

(Yes, I know the ring is used as a line-in and then you have to short tip to sleeve)

The other thing to watch out for is where the locking ring on the cheaper jacks clamps down on to. Some are thin enough that they clamp down on to the metal locking ring of the jack socket, some clamp down on to the plastic casing around the socket (that is, the knurled locking ring touches the casing before the thread has reached the end and locked - so it's the friction of the knurled ring on the plastic that provides the lock, rather than the screw thread).

Got to be honest, completely forgotten which one is "right" - the way Sennheiser's own locking jacks do it, but I suspect it'll be locking down on to the socket locking ring. This will have the effect of pulling the plug in to the socket, whereas locking on to the casing via friction will pull the plug out slightly.

• 2 weeks later...

Not been impressed with them. I have used a few and over 25% of them has a poor thread which isn't doing the locking threads on the beltpacks any good. Stick with the black ones and you won't go far. I only bought the silver ones as I needed some urgently and stock on the black ones was low.

Rob

Archived