Titan Mobile - Shuttle X50v3

Ken Coker

Comrades

I may regret broaching this.

I'm looking for a new PC to run my Titan Mobile with. Currently it runs pretty happily on an old, but tired, Samsung with a Duel Core T4400 2.2Ghz processsor with 3 Gig of RAM. I'm looking to at a Shuttle X50 to replace it . It would seem to me that the Atom D2550 processor offers pretty much the same performance as my current system and may even be better with 4 Gig of RAM and an SSD. I would welcome informed views on this or any other suggestions. Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than £(GBP) 600.

Things I should perhaps point out:

My current PC/Titan set up runs all the jobs I do very happily - small/medium gigs and conferences, some small scale theatre. If I were to move into the world of big rigs/ big pixel mapping I would hire a larger console.

The new PC has to be an all-in-one touch screen. NO laptops.

No Linux

No Macs

No, I can't afford an MQ60.

Thanks

KC

This has come up elsewhere before. I have my reservations about using Atom powered machines. No doubt it will run and may be fine for your applications (ie. not attempting to do an Olympic opening ceremony). Just my experiences with Atom processors in general is that they are very basic.

Unfortunately I don't have much time to look into this but a quick search threw up some i3 options. How about this?

Having rushed this there may be something I'm missing and no doubt someone might come along and prove that the Atom processor is actually better than the i3, which would be fine!

/edit: Just spotted that doesn't have an SSD. But I'm sure you could fix that with a bit extra and a screwdriver. Assuming the machine is dedicated to Titan you don't need much. 60GB is enough. I recommend using Intel for reliability.

. I have my reservations about using Atom powered machines. No doubt it will run and may be fine for your applications (ie. not attempting to do an Olympic opening ceremony). Just my experiences with Atom processors in general is that they are very basic.

Been using the asus eee top et1602 with chasmsys for a few years now,aint had any problems,yet, even the latest release is nice and stable,spits out 2 universes of DMX without a hicup.about the only time its stutters is when you load the latest fixture libary,but even my desktops stops for a breather when doing that.

Resolution of that screen looks very low to me - 1366 x 768 is rather small these days, and it's below the recommended spec for Titan Mobile.

I'm pretty sure you'll want as many pixels as possible to play with, which these days basically means 1920x1080.

(More than that gets expensive fast)

I'd also be very nervous of Intel GMA-series graphics.

Don't know if Titan uses OpenGL, but Intel GMA is notoriously bad at it.

(DirectX works better, but is Windows-only so nobody uses it for software they might make cross-platform in the future)

- Note that several cheap SSDs are actually slower than spinning rust.

I would very much advise against using an atom procesor for titan: just not fast enough. Even a core i3 feels sluggish.

Maybe the new Asus ET1620IUTT wil be a better choice. Still affordable, but with a Celeron J1900 procesor. Still not lightning fast but... Comes complete with windows for about 400 GBP, I think.

I am with you on this one Joshua. Only problem is finding a 15.6 inch all-in-one with an i5 in it. Even if you can find one it will be very expensive. Maybe an 15.6 inch touchscreen (Iiyama, ELO) with a NUC on the back or besides the Mobile will do the trick. Still not cheap though... BTW: DON'T EVER get a SAW (intellitouch) or infrared touchscreen. Get a resistive or capacitive one!

Scan have got some nice mini pcs that could velcro on to the back of a touchscreen quite easily. Depending on how the screen's stand works you may even be able to mount it using a VESA bracket.If you need a touch screen to go with it (don't know if you already have one or not) keep an eye on ebay for second hand ELO screens. Very good quality screens, sturdy enough to not fall over when you prod the blue palette with enthusiasm mid set.

Hi Jon

I think I'm going to take the Asus option and increase the RAM; the performance is almost the same as my current laptop and will be used exclusively for Titan.

Sadly, I have neither the time nor inclination to build something. I'll let you know how it goes..obviously, I'll be happy to lend it to you again.

....I do have palettes other than blue you know...........1/2 Blue; 1/4 Blue; 1/8 Blue.....

KC

Archived