Mac 250 Ignition Problem

posty07

Hi,

I've got a Mac 250 with a "SHER" and it's because the lamp comes on as soon as the unit is started without a lamp on command being sent.

I was wondering if anyone knew what could be causing this? The relay clicks on as soon as the unit is plugged in and won't turn off with a lamp off command, either by DMX or manual.

One of the driver chips for a stepper has also gone but I wouldn't have thought that would make any difference to that circuit?

There's also a problem with the 12v circuit for the fans as there is no 12v output on the board. There was until part got shorted out and now there isn't. I've been told there's another driver chip used for the 12v circuit but could anyone tell me which one it is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I'd had a read through that already, unfortunately doesn't relate as his lamp isn't striking when it first starts. My problem is that the relay is constantly on so the lamp strikes before the firmware tells it to

Thanks for the link though

Hi

If the relay is closing the second the power comes on then you've got an electrical short across the coil, pure and simple. I'd suggest that you pull the circuit board out and start tracing things, it might be linked to your loss of fan power.

HTH

All the best

Timmeh

If the relay is closing the second the power comes on then you've got an electrical short across the coil

If the relay is closing then the short is across the driver chip and not the coil.

do you know what chip does control the 12v circuit?

Again if the relay is closing then the 12V is probably fine. However, the fans and the relay are all controlled by IC307 which is the ubiquitous ULN2803A. That would easily be damaged by a short on your fan wiring. You can check the 12V level on pin 10 of the chip. (0V on pin 9). BTW the 5V rail is derived from the 12V rail so if you're getting displays etc then both of those rails are probably OK.

HTH

Dave

Could be a sticky relay, try checking the lamp sensor as well as I've had similar problems in the past

If you need the those chips to replace I have them in stock, if your not into surface mount repairs I can do that here as it's a fairly common fault.

sales@jamiesmagictorch.co.uk

Archived