Autism Friendly Performances

paulears

THREAD NECROPHILIA ALERT!!!

I knew I remembered we had talked about "relaxed performance" and a news item tonight set me off on one. The National Orchestra of Wales works with autistic kids and others at a school in Pontypridd and yesterday had their first public concert at St David's Hall in Cardiff. The brief clips on BBC Wales suggest more a riot of fun than a classical music event and the hobby horse really got me.

The point of this thread resurrection is that next month NOW and the kids are invading the Albert Hall for the first ever "relaxed Prom" so if any of our London based members need their brains cleansed here is the opportunity to learn more about the concept.

I've done quite few now, and have no idea why I was so suspicious/resistant/dubious. Reading back Clive mentioned autistic scale people we probably already work with. I've taken on a guy for the summer - nice young fella and apart from having to be perhaps a bit more precise with my sloppy English - all seems to be working fine. My first relaxed performance was great and as I've become more comfy with it, they're now no big deal at all, and I quite enjoy them - and the shows don't suffer to any great degree at all. Kerry's encouragement is something we should take to heart. It IS also great marketing, but worthwhile!

<br />Actually Paul. I think its more about giving people a choice. <br /><br />Talking to people at the Wolsey in Ipswich where they introduced 'relaxed' performances of the panto, the cast apparently quite enjoyed doing a couple of 'different' shows in the otherwise long run. <br /><br />I went to a pro concert on the continent a couple of weeks back, and had I have been given a choice, I would have opted not to be blinded every third song by the damn movers thrashing the audience. I know its the current fad amongst the lighting boys, but I went to see the artist, not to look down the lens of a umpteen million lumen mover for a fraction of a second every 2 - 3 seconds. We all talk hear about damaging the ears, I dread to think what these do to people retina's. Rant over!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I'm right there with you Robin. Being blinded by the totally inconsiderate lighting boys p****s me off even more than the fashion for appalling sound.

If we do them we will go through the show and make a couple of separate lighting and sound files that lose the more "abrasive" cues that may make people uncomfortable or be triggers.

Surprisingly when we consulted a support group for things we should look out for one of the things they mentioned was balloons. Apparently a lot of people with autism or asberger's get very nervous around inflated balloon as they get anxious about them bursting and making a loud noise. We wouldn't have guessed that in a million years so it proves it is good to talk to people who know about the issues.

Personally, I think relaxed performances are the answer. They've got a few advantages for everyone involved.

It's a version of the show which is designed to be more friendly and remove any scary or potentially difficult bits.

Everyone who's come to that performance is aware that it won't be a 'regular' audience so there will be people making noise during the show and things happening which would normally be frowned upon BUT that means any parents or carers dont have to feel self-conscious or concerned about causing a disturbance because everybody in that room knows what the deal is.

I think that's the main reason that creating a whole run of a show autism-friendly is actually not very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

As a dad to a 7 year old boy on the spectrum, one of the big factors is the other members of the audience. Not being stared at, and having comments made about the child's behaviour is a massive blessing, it's not just relaxing for the person on the spectrum, it's relaxing for the parent/ career too.

We go to an activity centre near Thame in Oxfordshire, and it's amazing how far people travel to go somewhere "safe".

One thing to watch out for is skanky parents buying tickets to these performances because of the cheaper prices - one of these families who were recognised by somebody FOH left a comment on the theatre website saying that the show wasn't as exiting as previous years and querying the budget for effects? It's possible that as there were no tickets for the regular shows, the relaxed one was the only show they could come to - but ironic they then complained about less bangs crashes and explosions!

Archived