JBL PRX

lightsource

Hi all,

Looking at purchasing some JBL PRX series cabs. but I have some issues on the spec's, mainly Amp power, JBL just give the cabinet an amplifier power in watts, but don't seem to explain, so is that RMS, Peak, Average, Program. PMPO :** laughs out loud **: the list could go on :D

Main cabs I'm interested in are:

PRX718XLF

PRX735

PRX725

PRX712

Not interested in alternatives, I know all the other manufacturers out there, and their spec's, just the JBL PRX fits a price point for me.

We're a general PA & Lighting hire company that does everything from speeches to Punk bands, in venues that range from 100 capacity to about 1000 capacity.

Why does it matter?

They all appear to be self-powered units so the actual 'size' of the amplifier fitted is irrelevant. Surely what's important is how loud they are?

We're a general PA & Lighting hire company that does everything from speeches to Punk bands, in venues that range from 100 capacity to about 1000 capacity.

The PRX boxes may be useable as stage monitors in a 1,000 capacity venue. Probably not for the punk bands though...

For speeches, be that conference, opening ceremony or wedding, a 12" box is a rather heavy and obtrusive solution nowadays. Sure, it will work, but a nice 8"+CD box is a much better fit, in so many ways.

For a general purpose box the 8" is rather less suitable, as you say, great for speeches and possibly for low level music if twinned with a suitable sub but a12" is much better for anything moderately loud and rather more versatile (though still not suitable for FOH in the punk band/1000 capacity venue combination).

OTOH We have some new PRX712s and I'm pretty unimpressed, they (and the 715s we also have) just don't sound nice to my ears. I won't suggest specific alternatives but do give some of the others a listen alongside the JBLs before you buy, I think there are much better speakers out there for the money.

For a general purpose box the 8" is rather less suitable, as you say, great for speeches and possibly for low level music if twinned with a suitable sub but a12" is much better for anything moderately loud and rather more versatile .

Sam, I take it you've not heard E8 being used in anger! These 8"+CD babies have become our 'go to' box for so many different applications, it's rare now to spec a job they don't have a role in, which is why we've got 12 of them now.

Fair comment Tony, I haven't heard the E8. I assume you use subs? What and where do you cross them over?

Ah, looked on your website. They do look very nice, curious to know how much they cost (and how much the associated power amp costs)?

Fair comment Tony, I haven't heard the E8. I assume you use subs? What and where do you cross them over?

Have never used subs with E8 as we use Q on FOH

We put E8 on for everything from conferences, corporate dinners, live stage monitors, dj booth monitors, side & back room fills supporting Q.

We also use them on outdoor events requiring music playback (basically any non-100v outdoor requirements) on nice high winches, in pairs.

The e8's are indeed stunning little boxes, but I suspect that a pile of them + something beefier for the rock shows + subs + a couple of rac7's of d12's is going to be significantly more expensive than a PRX system as specified by the OP

Why does it matter?

They all appear to be self-powered units so the actual 'size' of the amplifier fitted is irrelevant. Surely what's important is how loud they are?

Brian, it's a weird one. The PRX have been for sale for a few years now, but JBL seem to have had a revamp of the product, for one of the cabs in particular, they've increased the amp size from 650w RMS to 1500w, but give no reference to what type of watt's they're referring to.

Cheers for the other replies, but to add, looking at 8x 718XLF (1x18 Sub) , 8x735 (2x15 Mid Top) and 2x 725 and 712 mid tops.

The 8x718XLF and 8x 735's would be the basis of the main rig, splittable to a number of smaller PA's.

The PRX have been for sale for a few years now, but JBL seem to have had a revamp of the product...

I wonder if it's for the same reason RCF did the self-powered ART 300 range? Neodymium, as used in speaker magnets, is now very expensive so they've moved to using Ferrite magnets. These are, however, less efficient so to keep the same output levels they fitted a bigger class-D amp, as used on the 700s, instead of the class-B used previously.

We've had PRX512s (500 watts a box) for a few years now and been pleased with them so we've just bought half a dozen each 715s and 712s and four 718XLFs. We use 718s and 712s for FOH and 715s for monitors generally but we're finding it hard to get a really good sound from them. Can't quite put my finger on what the issue is but they don't seem as balanced or detailed as the old 512s (or my QSC K12s). It's worth adding that we have had problems with power amp faults on some of the 512s and one of the new 712s has frying bacon issues already, I'm becoming increasingly not a fan of Crown's low end offerings as we've also had 4 out of 4 xTi power amps fail over that last three years.

Archived