Sound Effects

Bobbsy

I don't know if any of you know (or know of) a London sound designer named John Leonard (I met him once when he donated a tape recorder to a youth drama group I worked with)but he's doing a scheme he's calling a "dollar a month offer". Basically, once a month he puts up fifteen or twenty of his own sound effects which you can download in full 48/24 glory for a US$. This month it's machinery but, since January when he started, there's been everything from "birds and bees" to "crowds".

The main thing is that John is a location recordist extraordinaire! His recording are always superb quality. I tend to just download them and file them away for when I need them.

His site is HERE and you can also join a mailing list to get a notification when the next offer is up. He also announces it on the Theatre Sound List if you participate there.

(And no, I don't benefit from this. I just think it's a very cheap way to get a library of very good effects.)

John Leonard is the author of 'Theatre Sound', a book which I have found very helpful and is listed in the Books section of the Wiki.

He is also very willing to help if he can. Back in 2001 my group were producing Ronald Harwood's "Quartet", for which John had created the original sound design. I had the temerity to send an email asking for some guidance and he responded quickly with some very helpful suggestions.

Archived