Ideas for spec for venue

Hi guys, I know we've been through this before, but, I've been asked to spec a:

"multi functional lecture theatre/theatre/cinema that can be used for performances/lectures for 106 people max. Assume that it will be a state of art professional Theatre."

Just some, and I mean SOME!! ideas for anything obscure I may have missed (lets not let this get out of hand! no death rays please!! :D ).

What I have already considered:

Lighting, generic, intelligent and house, with control desk, outstations, dimmers etc

Sound 5.1 surround for cinema use, with radio mics and lecturn mics etc for everything else. CD, DAT, MD, Analogue tape and computer audio playback.

Infra red hearing assist system.

Data/video projector, state of the art computer for presentations. VHS SVHS and DV/miniDV playback.

Video record facilities, ie a camera to record the event onto varying formats.

Communications and cue light system.

And enough cat 5, video and audio tie lines to sink a ship!

Anything else I've forgotten

Cheers guys

Owen

Decent heating and air conditioning?

Disabled access to stage and control rooms?

That's a NO to the death ray? Shame.

Flying and a stage lift?

Get in - if at street level good access and large wing space. Or if below ground suitable lift for set (Liverpool Apollo has a nice version).

What would be unique is to get daylight inside the auditorium during the day / non show times. Big windows with remote shutters. Then fewer white pasty techs...

Large dressing rooms with seperate rooms for the wardrobe department.

How about an infa red Herring system? No?

Studio space for rehearsals? Could be used for warm ups and hired out to dance schools.

This is your starter for 10.

For more answers await for blue room people to stagger back from the pub where they have been busy with tech issues and London pride today. ... Not me I wasn't allowed to go out to play... me bitter? No I couldn't drink any today.... See what I did there a little play on words?... I soo need a beer this evening....

Is this mic still on?

Stage is very small, it will just be a small space to be used for monologues classical recitals an film previews and hopefully rented out for seminars/conferences.

Situated in a college. get in through single fire doors from ground level.

Wing space non existant, probable stage size 8m x 6m

disabled access not really possible due to building constraints.

Auditorium will only seat about a hundred.

Is this room designed for self op by the lecturer-presenter bod or is it designed for use by a technician or both?

I remember working in in a, slightly larger than you describe multi purpose hall where there was touch screen controll of all facilities in the room built into the lectern and duplicated in the projection room.

The reason I mention is that I got ery frustrated that I only had access to the same simple level of controll as the bod on stage, I couldn't change the lighting presets or anything* so if you do have a similar system it would be nice to have a more enabled set of controlls at the technician's controll.

Just a thought.

James

* they had asked me to bring up a state where all the stage lights were full with house lights out. The programming hadn't alowed for that.

It wasn't easy to give them that without changing things I probably wasn't suposed to change.

PM me an e-mail addy and you can have a copy of my spec for a 200-seater that I've finished recently...

Oh: and prepare to be frightened by the cost of 35mm cine projectors, If you haven't looked them up already...

Oh: and prepare to be frightened by the cost of 35mm cine projectors, If you haven't looked them up already...

But be more pleased with the second-hand price as people in small theatres etc. are getting rid of them in favour of video projection. Also, I seem to remember the 70mm ones from the Dome going for some ludicrously small price.

Archived