Pole flying birds - What to use? Like Lion King.

gregog

Morning All,

I have been asked to enquire as to the possibility of making some birds, etc for an actor to hold to swing around. Essentially, an indoor kite pole. This is the kind of thing the use on Lion King in town.

Can anyone recommend or tell me what type of pole they use? I know it has to be long and flexible.

I toyed with the idea of using a collapsable tent pole (gaffa'd at the joints), fishing rod, bamboo or if all failed an extentable roller head (no flex, I know).

Can anyone let me know what they use or recommend a something that would do the job perfectly? I only want them to be about 6ft long, the birds will be made, so its just the poles I'm after.

Many thanks in advance,

Gregog

I have used big bamboo, 2inch bamboo is pretty good stuff. There are a couple of companies who sell bamboo for lanterns etc and see nice bundles of it.

The other option is some fishing rod poles but I have found them expensive and snapable.

Do you need pole flex or solid pole?

Those are your best two options for both strength and lightness, although the carbon fibre rod will flex a bit more when the puppet is used than the bamboo will your designer may prefer the natural look of the bamboo. Bamboo is certainly cheaper as well.

Bamboo is also kinda easier to fix on the fly, I found fiber rods shatter, at least with bamboo you can use cable ties and lashings of LX.

You can do some nice finishes and make even more rigid with some scrimming.

Archived