Rigging career?

Hello everyone new member here firstly like to say looks a fantastic forum and genuinely looks like I've come to the right place........

All it is I'm a scaffolder and have roughly 8 years experience both with traditional tube and fitting and system scaffolding and I'm looking to get into either film or event/stage rigging, I'm based in paddington Central London and have actually worked for an events company on the Olympics and loved the environment. Has anyone got any advice or better still contacts to get in a film studio/company??? I do know it's like the holy grail for many a scaff but really do fancy it as the long hours/travel wouldn't bother me and obviously would thrive in the less glamorous side ie slugging it out in a muddy field in the early hours ** laughs out loud **

thanks in advanced for any help bobby

Yes I am actually qualified as a scaffolder but not to design structures ( although I can do it!!!) as only design engineers can legally do it, as for following up with my last rigging provider that's a simple one mate I don't have any as it's clearly stated above that I'm trying to get into rigging!!!! Contacts is what makes the world go round it's not what you know it's who it's vital to the scaffolding world and I assume the rigging/film game would be the same jive master? I can assure you I'm a genuine bloke that does have a genuine interest in your sector and only looking for advice on good places to start and company names if poss

It's probably the guys with the bigger stages you want to get in with, the likes of Acorn, ESG, ProProductions, Star Events, as they're the guys that are pushing system scaff.

The smaller people that come up when you google stage hire are probably less likely to need your level of experience, though I could be wrong.

Most of the local crew companies have scaffs on the books and work with them could provide a wider range of opportunity. They often provide the staff for the guys that Pete mentions and some time working at local crew level will inform you far more than any advice we could give.

I would recommend as wide an experience as possible, the Olympics weren't the typical "gig", and some people just love our business ...... until they have tried it! If you have CSCS/CISRS then you won't ever be short of work.

Yeah I know what u mean Kerry I was actually on before and after the games first for phd and then gl events I did have a day/night in the excel which was ok 16 hr shift good £££, I do think It would suit me to the ground long hours/ good £££ and system scaffolding which I'm very good with ;)

Incidentally would anyone have a rough guideline for £££ say by hourly rate would I expect??? I know I'm not going to walk in as top boy just with my scaff tickets ( and obviously unlike most scaffs I don't expect it) but ..... I'm on about £17/18 per hour now plus an overtime rate how does it work in the staging game

Again I really do appreciate the replies ppl I've learned more in an afternoon on here than I have all year ** laughs out loud ** thanks

Archived