Allen and Heath ZED-12FX

AudioBoy

hi newbie type question here but does the Allen and Heath ZED-12FX when using the usb on a windows laptop, does it allow main output recording or can I record each audio channel on the desk?

the reason I ask is a local pub is doing a fund raiser and part of the events is a open mic session but they want to record the audio, as they need to buy a desk anyways was hoping to kill 2 birds with 1 stone

thanking .you for any and all help offered on this

Thanks for the speedy reply, waht would be the easiest (cheapest) way to record each input (multi track) and would the software audacity be acceptable to use for recording?

The ZED-12FX is not a suitable desk for this as it does not have direct outs on each channel therefore even with an additional audio interface there is no way to get the signal out of the desk and in to the interface.

I can't find any current small analogue mixer which has the functionality you want, Alesis used to have a product but it's discontinued, and anyway Alesis isn't in the same league as A&H quality wise. I'm afraid I don't think there is a ~£500 combined 6 or 8 channel analogue mixer and audio interface in the market at the moment.

To do what you want you need to go up to something like an Allen and Heath WZ4 12:2 plus the multi-track USB recording option, this sounds like more channels than you need and will cost somewhere around £1000. The next step up is to either a A&H Qu-16 digital mixer or a Behringer X32 Compact.

A less conventional approach is to use an audio interface that has built in mixing. For example the MOTU 8Pre has 8 mic inputs and two line outputs and a built in hardware mixer which can be controlled via the computer, or for the adventurous via an iPad over WiFi using third party software.

Audacity is OK for recording but you'll probably get something better bundled with any desk or audio interface you buy.

x32 and reaper will get the job done. a big leap in price though from what the OP is presently looking at - x32 producer will now cost you as little as £1,100

it's also quite a leap in knowledge from a small analogue surface. the qu16 keeps the allen and heath name and is more streamlined in function - it's less versatile than an x32 but probably easier for a newcomer to follow - another price leap though - £1,540.

hi guys thanks for all your reply's I'm on a limited budget as far as we don't want to spend more then we will make on the event , now desk aside and lowering my expectations what is the best and cost effective way of recording 1- 4 audio lines to a laptop ?

hi guys thanks for all your reply's I'm on a limited budget as far as we don't want to spend more then we will make on the event , now desk aside and lowering my expectations what is the best and cost effective way of recording 1- 4 audio lines to a laptop ?

If you already own a laptop then go to http://www.thomann.de and search for 4 input USB audio devices.

This comes up with:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/esi_maya_44_usb.htm?sid=4fe388372a0ce6f0052c86165bb224ad

However that does not have balanced inputs so you may have problems with hum and matching to a mixer which does have balanced inputs.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/alesis_io4.htm?sid=4fe388372a0ce6f0052c86165bb224ad

Which does have balance inputs and as it's got a local headphone output you could even use it as a small mixer at a pinch if you bought something to turn the headphone output in to a balanced line like an ART Cleanbox or something.

I've not used either of these things so can't recommend any particular item. If I was buying something to do this I'd probably get something like a MOTU 4Pre however that's likely out of your price range at £350.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/motu_4_pre.htm?sid=4fe388372a0ce6f0052c86165bb224ad

Reaper is also free and more appropriate and widely used for multitrack recording imo

Just for the record, Reaper is NOT free. It's free to try and they leave you on the honour system rather than disabling there demo but the software costs $60 to buy officially--still an excellent deal.

I'd had to hear that any BR members were cheating the makers of excellent software like Reaper.

Is it the end of the world if you do have to record straight to stereo (if most of the acts are singer + guitar then possibly not?)? I only ask because IMO the Zed 10FX is a brilliant little mixer and it would be a shame to put it out of the running just because it lacks multi-track recording capability. We bought two last year for our hire stock and they've already made their money back, as they go out for little gigs like these all the time. It's a solidly-built mixer with every input option you can think of, built-in effects, and best of all for us - power on IEC and outputs on XLR, so no wall-wart PSU or jack-XLR cables to lose.

Is it the end of the world if you do have to record straight to stereo (if most of the acts are singer + guitar then possibly not?)? I only ask because IMO the Zed 10FX is a brilliant little mixer and it would be a shame to put it out of the running just because it lacks multi-track recording capability. We bought two last year for our hire stock and they've already made their money back, as they go out for little gigs like these all the time. It's a solidly-built mixer with every input option you can think of, built-in effects, and best of all for us - power on IEC and outputs on XLR, so no wall-wart PSU or jack-XLR cables to lose.

not the end of the world, was just wanting multi track to mix better afterwards e.g. if the guitars is louder then the vocals in the mix having each on a single track would make editing easier

If you're only recording solo performers then stereo can be used as a 2 channel multitrack recording. If it's duos or bigger then multitrack is obviously the way to go but you could fudge it in stereo with main vocal on one track and everything else on t'other. You then just do a mono final mix with a decent stereo reverb to give it some width.

+1 to Reaper, absolute bargain at $60 http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Archived