Cans over CAT5 multi?

lawsonpd

Hi Fellow BlueRoomers,

I have a Roland CAT-5 Multicore (S-1608 and S-0816).

I'm guessing that it is 'possible' to run Canford cans through it but as there is no DC path would 2/4 wire converters at each end using a separate path for send and receive and a separate power supply at each end be the way?

Thanks

Peter

I'd be using a 2 wire to 4 wire converter at each end to send audio in each direction. Or, if there's spare Cat5 runs, chuck an XLR on each end of the spare and use that (just don't plug that into the Roland Boxes).

Josh

If current capacity of the cat 5 worries you then you could common up the pairs in the cat 5, giving you 4 conductors of double the cross sectional area.

Are you using a Roland console with the snake, or just stand alone? One of the really neat tricks the Roland can do is patch any input of a stage box to any output of another, without needing to use up a desk channel or bus (you have pre amp control of every input connected to the console regardless of if it's assigned to anything) - useful thing to know!

Are you using a Roland console with the snake, or just stand alone? One of the really neat tricks the Roland can do is patch any input of a stage box to any output of another, without needing to use up a desk channel or bus (you have pre amp control of every input connected to the console regardless of if it's assigned to anything) - useful thing to know!

I'm just using a stand alone snake - no Roland console. Nice tip though!

Peter

If you went the 4-wire conversion route you'd lose the "call" facility as it uses DC signalling over the line.

That settles it. I'll use a spare Cat 5 (once I've run it in!)

Thanks all

Peter

If you are running in a separate cat5 why not a mic cable and keep things simple ?

Ah I should have explained the situation a bit more perhaps...

There are existing tie lines in place from the box to stage left and right but these are subject to both dimmer noise and breakthrough from the Inductive loop system! So historically we have temporarily run a separate XLR cable for comms and used the CAT 5 multi for audio.

Based on the responses so far, I'm now planning to run in a new permanent 'cheap and cheerful' CAT 5 cable which I have lying around and use plug in adapters (CAT5 to XLR ) at each end for comms use when necessary.

Peter

The audio in a cans circuit is unbalanced so running it down an unscreened cat5 could make things a great deal worse! Stick with the screened XLR lead you currently use.

Unless your existing tie lines run parallel with the induction loop and LX circuits from the dimmers (hopefully they don't) then I'd be looking at why they pick up so much interference. You may be creating earth loops which the induction system will love as it behaves like a transformer.

Archived