MAC 550 - Some oddities

Ashley R

Hi BR

I know some of you out there were some of the early adopters of the MAC 550 when it came out, and I was looking for some answers.

On a pair of 550's I have at the moment, the two air intake filters on the sides of the head, just kind of sit there. Although in the manual it describes a filter holding plate. On my 550's there are not even screw studs for this part to be affixed to.

Was this a later addition to the 550's? and the original ones just had the piece of foam sitting there? Or was it meant to be affixed in a different manner? Or any bright ideas for ensuring the filter stays next to the air intakes, as it kind of just moves around, not doing much good.

2nd issue that I have, is at the back of the mover, just about 1/2cm above where the edge of the lamp access is, the plastic casing has started to deform and bubble up.

I would assume this would be due to heat? - I will have to check that all the fans run up, but they all seemed free moving when I was cleaning them earlier today.

would there be any other reasons why this would happen?

Will try and upload a picture...

Cheers Ash

Regardless of whether the fans rotate freely you should check they actually get some power. The fan wires run through a very hot area and can burn through. It is possible to re-route the wires to the right hand (IIRC) fan in particular but it needs to be done with suitable high temp wire. The original wiring uses the PVC insulated tails from the fan itself threaded through some silicone/glass tubing which is inadequate protection. Given that the cooling is marginal at best it is also worth bypassing the fan control on the main board so that they always run at full speed, IMHO at least.

Dave

The foam doesn't have anything to attach to as such - it just sort of sandwiches between the lamphead chassis and the plastic cover that's held on with two Pozi screws either side of the lens. There used to be a bit of double-sided tape holding them in place when the units were new, IIRC - but that was a long time ago, if it was there to start with it perished a long time ago, and I've never seen the need to replace it!

As far as the 'bubbling and deformed' plastic body - hmmm, something's not right there. Check that all your fans are running as they should be, and that all filters and airflow openings are clear. None of our units (all of them with several thousand hours on them) are showing any symptoms like that.

Can't really add much more than hasn't already been said, the foam indeed does just sandwich between the metal work and the plastic cover, the separate retention for it was an addition on the MAC 700.

As for the bubbling I've also certainly never seen that, however when we did have MAC 550's (thankfully now long gone) we did experience quite a few failures of the fans that blow cool air into the lamp housing so certainly worth an in depth inspection as other have said.

For me the foam doesn't seem to actually be held by the metal chassis very well. It literally kind of sits there, and appears most of the air flow just goes down the bottom, where its not held.

Might have to have a go at reapplying some double sided tape.

Will also have a proper check of the fans. This sounds like the cause, as these movers have both got under 2000 hours on them.

Archived