things you learn during maintenance...

WiLL

So, currently doing a long overdue maintenance of every lantern, cable and fixture in my venue.

What did we learn today?

Never, and I mean NEVER take apart a source four junior.

You need a swiss watch maker to put it back together again.

So, currently doing a long overdue maintenance of every lantern, cable and fixture in my venue.

What did we learn today?

Never, and I mean NEVER take apart a source four junior.

You need a swiss watch maker to put it back together again.

Haaaaa! IIRC, if you take it apart the 'right' way up, it falls into slightly less pieces!

Why did you need to take it apart? Assuming you mean splitting it in half, what was up with it?

I've never found the need or had the urge, and I am not afraid of Strand Quartet profiles....

I did it once to attempt to clean reflectors- I did one, then decided the rest would be fine....!

We took it apart to clean reflector and lenses primarily. I have to do all my set building in situ at my venue which creates a fair bit of dust, which inevitably ends up baked to a lens.

And yes, having done one and then spent 3 hours putting it back together, we have decided the others will be fine with just a quick dust off of the front lens.

The lenses are easily removed,

loosen one screw at the front of the lens tray.

Pull out the guide runner the screw is retaining.

Unscrew focus knobs

Slide lens assembly out the front of the lanern.

My favorite lens assembly I have ever come across!

Make sure to put it back the right way around http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

(I have made the mistake of trying to clean a reflector, never to be repeated)

The lenses are easily removed,

loosen one screw at the front of the lens tray.

Pull out the guide runner the screw is retaining.

Unscrew focus knobs

To add:

..and don't let the springs and washers go ping and get lost! +1 for making sure you put the lenses back in the right order and the right way round. I usually put them down on the bench in the correct orientation. There are markings on the carriers.

The reflectors are usually pretty clean but you can reach through the gate with an shot of air or a poky bit of cloth.

The lens runner can bit a little fiddly to line back up, leave the focus knobs loose and wiggle the lenses about until it goes back in correctly.

Ha! A girl at work took apart a Selecon 12-28 Pacific a few weeks ago because we were provided an A size glass gobo and it's a b size gate... so the image was being chopped off at the sides. She removed the bits inside that were blocking... and it worked!

However on the first one she let all the springs ping out for the shutter module. .. bugger! Apparently it was very hard to reassemble. . Second one was a bit better though!

I see your CCT Minuette and raise you an exploding Thomas Cyc Flood. One of the 4 cells with more screws than you can find despite using a complex set of colour coded screw pots, and more things to line up in one go than you have hands.

Archived