Behringer X18...

Simon Lewis

I still fail to understand why a device designed in the UK (Berry's R&D facility is, I believe, in sunny Manchester UK) manufactured in China and distributed worldwide by a company based in Germany should cost nearly 50% more in the UK and Germany than it does in the USA, even taking into consideration our UK VAT of 20% that's still a huge discrepancy. It's possible to buy an X32 in the USA (paying local sales tax) ship it 8000 miles, pay shipping costs, import duty and VAT and still have it cost the same or less than the UK street price. US import duty for the X32 is 2.6% the UK duty is 3.7% so not much difference there (less than £20 assuming it's based on the trade price the importer pays, an educated guess on my part) US sales tax is mostly less than UK VAT but, IIRC, varies between around 5% and 20%. If somebody can come up with a believable explanation I'd be very grateful http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

I still fail to understand why a device designed in the UK (Berry's R&D facility is, I believe, in sunny Manchester UK) manufactured in China and distributed worldwide by a company based in Germany should cost nearly 50% more in the UK and Germany than it does in the USA, even taking into consideration our UK VAT of 20% that's still a huge discrepancy. It's possible to buy an X32 in the USA (paying local sales tax) ship it 8000 miles, pay shipping costs, import duty and VAT and still have it cost the same or less than the UK street price. US import duty for the X32 is 2.6% the UK duty is 3.7% so not much difference there (less than £20 assuming it's based on the trade price the importer pays, an educated guess on my part) US sales tax is mostly less than UK VAT but, IIRC, varies between around 5% and 20%. If somebody can come up with a believable explanation I'd be very grateful http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

Florida sales tax 6%, UK VAT 20%

USA import duty from china - Nil, UK import duty 2.5%

employers NI contribution for employees selling, handling and delivering in the UK 14%, N/A in the USA.

minimum wage florida £4.73, minimum wage UK £6.31

Total likely sales of x32 products based on 1 per 10,000 people - 31,300 in the USA, 2,600 in the UK

cost of USA healthcare £2,000 per year per person. in UK n/a but funded through direct and indirect tax.

I think there are other factors that come to bare as well - like what can we charge in europe and what can we charge in the USA to get market penetration.

I guess what I am saying is that when you buy something or interact in any way financially you are paying for more than raw goods. in the USA they have bigger buying power, lower employee provision, lower tax rates. we are smaller, less buying power, more protection provisions for employees at higher cost - and have a history of tolerating paying more for our goods.

My condolences guys. I had no idea gear was so expensive over in the UK. I travel there frequently for business and have noticed that gas is silly expensive, but never tried to purchase any gear.

Still, I would expect the X18 to be priced relative to the X32 Rack there as well as here (both more expensive there than here). I think that after the initial launch, you may well be able to get an X18 for $600.00 USD, so at that time, there will be a larger price differential. Out the gate, it is hard to recommend it over the X32 Rack.

I feel the same way about the DL1608 right now. You are better off with an X32 Rack than a DL1608. Better sound, way more features, only slightly more money.

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from the expense of things here in the UK...The SMPro Umix appears to only have a 15 channel graphic across main and aux... Correct me if I'm wrong but that makes it about as much use as a chocolate fire guard in my book.

I have a DL1608 which I love despite not being too keen on it at first, and an X32, X32 rack, and I'm going to buy a couple of X32 producers as they rackmount - fits in well with a few radio's in a 10 U portable rack.

At the price point the mackie is fantastic, shame it doesn't have in built wifi or the ability to use the aux's as groups and patch them to main LR.

Gary

My condolences guys. I had no idea gear was so expensive over in the UK. I travel there frequently for business and have noticed that gas is silly expensive, but never tried to purchase any gear.

An illustration based on a sound staple. Typical best price for a (non-fake) SM58 here is about GBP 95, though I've just spotted GAK selling for GBP 88. That's USD 149 (or GBP 161 at "usual" prices).

Makes me cry when visiting US engineers refer to the 58 as a USD 99 mic - often with a USD 20 rebate as well!

Sigh....

• 2 weeks later...

Are those SM Pro Audio uMix boxes actually released yet, and if so does anyone have any experience of the usability of them or anything comparable?

Have a little job this weekend which a small function band - 5 mics, couple of DIs, but a very fast in & out - will probably end up mixing it from the side of stage due to setup times as I don't want to run the multi around the room, but one of those could help if the interface on the tablet/laptop/phone is usable, and the sound quality is reasonable enough.

Actually I've only just had a proper look at the video and software demo on their website - that does seem really functional.

I really hope the audio quality is up to scratch, with them being an unknown company developing DSPs and preamps in-house.

• 8 months later...

As a solo performer, my only gripe with the X18 is that it doesn't have the ability of the Soundscape M20d to record multitrack direct to the USB stick and then playback the multitrack, allowing a solo performer to walk round the venue and mix/eq his virtual live mix. But I suppose there had to be some 'give' at this price point ... :-/

Colin

Florida sales tax 6%, UK VAT 20%

USA import duty from china - Nil, UK import duty 2.5%

employers NI contribution for employees selling, handling and delivering in the UK 14%, N/A in the USA.

minimum wage florida £4.73, minimum wage UK £6.31

Total likely sales of x32 products based on 1 per 10,000 people - 31,300 in the USA, 2,600 in the UK

cost of USA healthcare £2,000 per year per person. in UK n/a but funded through direct and indirect tax.

I think there are other factors that come to bare as well - like what can we charge in europe and what can we charge in the USA to get market penetration.

I guess what I am saying is that when you buy something or interact in any way financially you are paying for more than raw goods. in the USA they have bigger buying power, lower employee provision, lower tax rates. we are smaller, less buying power, more protection provisions for employees at higher cost - and have a history of tolerating paying more for our goods.

In addition to the points already made here, the distribution models for Music Group products in the US and Europe are quite different in many respects. With acceptable margins also being different in these markets, it is a complicated picture.

Archived