Heat lamps for live theatre application

Hi folks,

Working on an immersive mixed media pitch at the moment. What we wanna do is produce warmth quickly, and so as many members of the audience can feel it as possible. I figured heat lamps would work best as I can rig them across the arena and get a wide effect with a simple independent on/off command as its obviously gonna need a load of power.

Has anyone ever done something like this, if so how? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the most of this safely, with as little light as possible?

Thanks,

Nathan

Yeah Ive done similar thing for theatre, but not in arena. Space heaters and the like were considered, but of course thats quite impractical and not an 'instant warm up'

At least with heat lamps it was an immediate, controlled area that got the heat. (In our case - ditto fans for 'wind' as well !)

I suppose the only consideration with catering for arena size is power and mains distro......

Yeah Ive done similar thing for theatre, but not in arena. Space heaters and the like were considered, but of course thats quite impractical and not an 'instant warm up'

At least with heat lamps it was an immediate, controlled area that got the heat. (In our case - ditto fans for 'wind' as well !)

I suppose the only consideration with catering for arena size is power and mains distro......

Should have specified. When I say arena, I mean basically our outdoor 'arena space'. We'll be looking at 4,000 people, so if at the very least I can reach 1,000+ even faintly, I would be very happy.

And what budget do you have? Assuming 500w per person for your 1000 people that's over 200 Amps of juice which is quite a chunk.

Would it be possible to cheat using a bright red source - so the effect of heaters but with out the heat?

Or a gas powered solution - I'm sure you get get flame thrower type effects etc that could be fired over the crowd but would they fit in with the narrative?

For heating large numbers of people frankly an indirect diesel heater that produces vast quantities of warm/hot air that you blast at your audience is going to be a much cheaper/easier method than using electric infra-red heaters. That said it's still going to be chunky to impliment - we use 500,000Btu indirect heaters that are the size of a small car; they will give you the big blast of heat that you want and only burn around 20lt of diesel per hour so are economic to use but you'll be paying £800 each to rent 'em and you'll need two or three just to give you the hit you want to 1000 people.

Archived