Avolites Azure memory record issue.

Matthewfelton

This Avo Azure desk has decided to stop recording memories or chases on free memory slots. It lets me copy to the slot but not record new ones. Its on every playback page. It started when I tried to record a dimmer chase for some movers. It's definately something to do with the moving heads cause it let me record some memories with static LEDs to a playback. But when I deleted the led memory and tried to record a moving head memory it wouldn't. Then the playback channel become unusable completely. Any advice. I was thinking maybe the memory is full but wouldn't like to delete anything to find out. I'm not a lighting engineer but I know how to use avo's a little so apologies if this is something obvious.

Cheers

Normally if there are memory or space issues there will be an error message saying as much.

On the face of it this sounds like there is either nothing in the programmer when recording or information in the programmer is taking priority when testing the playbacks making it look like they aren't working.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but my test would be as follows:

- Program mode

- Clear

- Select fixture

- Locate

- (Confirm this is visible on stage)

- Clear

- Select fixture

- Set dimmer to full

- (Confirm again this is visible on stage)

- Record to empty playback (record by channel or record by fixture, should not matter)

- Clear

- Operate mode

- Fire playback

If that does not work then try performing a wipeall and patching a dimmer before repeating the steps. If that then works you have confirmed it is something relating to the show.

yeah ive been programming it all week. so getting to grips with it. ive was programming chases and memories in it just fine. exactly like niclights said. definatly not got the sequence of programming wrong. ive been playing around with recording the memories with channel mode for our moving heads. its hard to explain the symptoms completely. but ill try.

I was trying to record a dimmer memory for the movers using record by channel mode. used the shape gen. tried to add it. select blank memory to record. I select a blank memory. its stops flashing as if it has saved it but when I clear the programmer memory and go back into operate mode nothing is there. subsequently after that I can not record anything onto that memory after. not even a simple led memory. it has occured across all playback pages too. its also started to not playback some memories that were already recorded now too. I think this desk has pretty much had it. but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers all

another thing. when trying to record the memory it does not show any errors about memory. the memory slot just stays blank. I also tried to program to the environments playback page. it this case it it adds to it but wont playback anything.

Cheers again

Have you tried doing a wipe all and just experimenting with a couple of dimmers as Nic suggested. There's lots of things could be happening here, may or may not be a problem with the azure.

If you go back to record by fixture mode do things work then? Some Led personalities can be a bit weird in rec by channel mode and it's easy to get confused about what is being recorded, done it myself many times.

I can't really do a wipe all. It's a lighting desk in a small venue that's in constant use for the next 4 weeks. If I did a wipe all and it still didn't record new scenes I'd be in a pretty tough spot as there budget for a replacement is non existent at present. Even for hire ins. Thanks for the help though. Much appreciated.

The purpose of the tests I wrote above is to help you solve the problem.

If the first test passes then we need to look in more detail at what you are doing as it suggests a programming/operation issue. If it fails then this points to a problem with the show or console. The wipeall test would then tell you which.

It's important to perform simple, structured tests like this so that everyone is clear on what is going on. They are both very easy and should be quick to do. The wipeall is only necessary if the first test fails. In this case you just need to backup the show to a disk, try the test and then reload the show.

It's up to you whether you do this and what you might then do depending on the results but it will be the fastest way to get the answers you are looking for.

thanks for the heads up on the dongle ill defo have a look into this david.elsbury.

Niclights. Thanks for the advice. I understand that a wipeall would possibly be a logical solution to my problems, (and I understand how to do this, although I'm a sound engineer mainly.) but as previously stated the possibility of doing this and it not helping far outweigh the potential gains for the circumstances. as for now I will stick to trying every other solution first. but thanks for the advice again. much appreciated.

cheers all

If you are thinking of dongling and it's an avolites venue I'd get a titan one dongle, a bit more expensive but keeps the avo way of working.

I understand your worries about making it worse but Nic is just trying to help you locate the problem. From your description it could still be operator error...

sorry mate. I probably didn't make my self completely clear. I tried what you suggested straight away. it did exactly what it was supposed to but still didnt solve it. to cut along story short. I have solved the problem by deleting all non important recorded memories. this seems to have fixed it. although at no point did it ever state that memory was an issue. But just incase anyone has the same problem in future. the desk im dealing with quite cleary has some software issues probably due to age and general ware and tear. it does very sporadic things like not clear the programmer memory when pushing clear. not showing all fixtures when selecting and pushing locate fixture etc etc. all in all its fixed for now. at least until I can get rid of it for something abit more up to date.

cheers to everyone for the suggestions. much appreciated.

Archived