celestion sr1

billdickson

I spent a good bit of time trying to simulate the EQ. We were working on improving an installation that had a bunch of SR1s and SR3s. Nothing had been time aligned when the kit was first put in, and we were hoping to avoiding having to buy more controllers for the delayed outputs.

It wasn't too hard to get a rough approximation of what EQ the controller was applying, but the biggest problem was that the filters change with the volume level. This is pretty hard to simulate with most DSPs.

Do you have a controller to hand? It would be worth running Smaart through it just to see how it behaves. Our experiments were long enough ago that pink noise and an RTA was the best we could manage.

However, even if you get the eq and dynamics right, there is (I believe) additional protection circuitry fed from the amplifier sense terminals. The SR1 was quite a clever box for its time, and did a lot to ensure the boxes actually survived when pushed hard.

The SRC1 controller (grey rackmountable unit) has speaker sense, the newer SRC4 (half rack unit, usually black) doesn't.

If I had a choice, I would definitely go with the SRC1, but on the other hand we have done quite brutal things to SR1s through an SRC4 without any failures.

Archived