Position of Subs

ojc123

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On topic post, my old venue had 4 twin 18" subs under stage, which made the stage resonate massively, the solution was to surround them with bunkers made of concrete blocks, with a wooden frame filled with builders sand for a lid.

Thanks. It sounds like that's the way to go. I like the idea but don't want it if it's going to be a problem.

To say that subs under stage will cause on stage vibration problems and putting them off the stage will not is factually incorrect out and out. The fact is that the way your speakers interact with your stage is partly down to placement, but only when placed in accordance with the structure of the building too!

There are plenty of venues round the world which have no issues with under-stage subwoofer placement. Concrete plinths is always a good start, but the void under the stage will work best with under stage subwoofer placement if it is designed with that in mind.

One thing that I am surprised about is just how much bass you need in a room that size. Frankly if you are doing predominantly theatrical events, in a room that size, I will be surprised if your bins are ever really creating enough vibration to make it a problem on stage. Realistically if you are talking about a 4' high steel deck stage, and you can put some twin 18s underneath, sat on paving slabs, on a solid theatre floor; you will be having to kick out a pretty serious bit of bass before vibrations becomes a problem on the stage.

In typical Blue Room style everyone's forgotten my original question. However, I thought I'd just let you know that I'm going to see/hear an install with subs under the stage so I can make a better judgement about whether that's the way to go.

Thanks for all the discussion about line arrays. I'll bear all that in mind when we get to decision time.

Be slightly careful of a demonstration somewhere else. As others have pointed out, understage subs can work well in some situations--but cause lots of resonance that muddies and messes up the sound in others, all down to the construction of the stage.

Be slightly careful of a demonstration somewhere else. As others have pointed out, understage subs can work well in some situations--but cause lots of resonance that muddies and messes up the sound in others, all down to the construction of the stage.

I am aware and I've tried to arrange it in a similar venue to ours. If the contractor has made it work there then I'll feel a little more confident. I've since had other companies in to come up with solutions and they all seem fairly confident they could make subs under the stage work. The wall behind the subs has also been suggested.

So, thanks for all the help.

For the record; none of the other companies have suggested line arrays so everyone can calm down on that front. ;)

Archived