Mic to record congregational singing

Yorkie

My friend wants to record singing in a church gathering of 2000 people. As part of the congregation pick up, he would like to use a pair of shotgun mics, one either side of the stage pointing outwards (stage approx 16m wide, congregation approx 25m wide and 35m deep. Shotguns mounted about 3.5m from the floor

Previously he used a pair of AKG CK98 with SE300b but with average results. Sanken CS3e's were recommended to him but were apparently difficult to find. Other option he's considering are Sennheiser MKH816. I don't know much more about it than what's written here but can ask him if anyone has queries that would help in making recommendations.

If you have experience with mics for this sort of thing and have something else to recommend that would be really useful

Unless you want to pick out small individual groups, a shotgun is likely the wrong way to go. You likely want a much more generalised sound.

If it was me (and you could work with stereo) I'd work with 2 small diaphragm condensers arranged in a coincident pair/X-Y formation. Since you obviously have the AKG C300s, I'd go with two of those but with CK91 capsules--the Blueline mics work really well with choral type stuff (which is basically what your congregation is). I guess a spaced pair is also an option but my personal choice would be the X-Y set up.

A third option might be some form of M-S stereo.

Whichever mic you choose, make sure you get them high up, so that you get a blend of voices. Otherwise Murphy's Law dictates that there will be someone tone deaf and very very loud directly underneath. Stands like these can be useful.

I was once involved in a recording of choir and orchestra that was essentially ruined because the conductor bellowed tunelessly and bled into all the orchestra mics.

I've done choirs and orchestras with Sennheiser MKH30 & 40 in M/S which worked well but was a little clinical sounding for my taste. The best results I've had were from a pair of Schoeps MK4 in ORTF. Get them up high - I fly them with a custom built rig where possible as a cathedral stand in the right place can be a bit intrusive.

Richmond Film Services can hire you almost any mic for a very reasonable rate; I've used them a number of times.

Get them up high - I fly them with a custom built rig where possible as a cathedral stand in the right place can be a bit intrusive.

I've heard that Songs of Praise is recorded in two sections - audio is recorded separately before the filming takes place without any stands etc. visible. Same singers, same venue.

Shez, your custom rig sounds interesting. Got any photos you can share?

Songs of praise has consistently used miming for years, because getting good sound looks very ugly. Even poor old Sir Harry Secombe had to mime, and he was absolutely dire at it - but most of these sessions were prerecords in a proper studio. Choirs usually get done on location at the rehearsal.

I have to say I totally agree with Bob - shotguns always seem to pick out the strongest, and most distinctive voices, like a torch. X/Y is probably safest. I rather like M/S, but few people are comfy with the studio processes to make it sound good and unless the building has really excellent acoustics you can end up with very messy stereo field.

I presume your application is choral type music, but if it's modern worship music with a band you have a whole other set of issues with the PA system. Trying to get good congregation sound without it being drowned out by the PA is very tricky.

Interesting to hear about songs of praise - I'm not particularly a fan but having flicked through it a couple of times, I did wonder how they managed to get good sound so unobtrusively.

Shez, your custom rig sounds interesting. Got any photos you can share?

I'm sure I used to have some pics of it in action but can't lay my hands on them at the moment. I'll dig it out and see if I can mock something up when I get five minutes. It's not exactly sophisticated though ;)

Archived