DMX Wall Controller

dwright2104

I am looking for a DMX wall mount nice looking controller to control House Lights and a few LED par's.

This is part of a refurb in a local hall I'm heavily involved in and we are looking to make the house lights Dimmable, (some LED Ceiling Panels of which I'm told by the company who already installed them they are dimmable with 1-10v input so a de-mux will be needed, and some basic incandescent wall lights) and install some basic stage lights for the acts/bands. They currently have 8 old halogen par cans and going to re-use a few of these for basic white stage light, and going to get 8 of Thomann's Stairville LED PAR 56 The good thing is they have built in chases and sound to light function that can be enabled/disabled by DMX.

So I'm currently looking a DMX Wall Controller that can output standard DMX.

We still have to buy the Dimmers for the wall lights and pars.

A warning on the 1-10v input, these often do not work with a demux as they are not properly isolated. Also they may not switch off at the bottom and might need an external switch pack to go from dim to off.

Sunlite Stick is a versatile wall controller, if a bit weird to program.

A warning on the 1-10v input, these often do not work with a demux as they are not properly isolated. Also they may not switch off at the bottom and might need an external switch pack to go from dim to off.

Yeah the guy said they will receive DALI or 1-10v input and when I asked him if they dim right down properly he was adamant they dimmed just like halogen bulbs. Yeah right, I don't believe him somehow, but just need to dim them slightly as they have just straight replaced them for the florescent lights in the false ceiling and there are far too many and the room is brighter than daylight. ** laughs out loud **

Do you mean like an Anyscene? Push button, recall presets kinda thing....

Yeah sorry forgot to say needing about 8-10 Presets for 20 DMX Channels (More would then allow me to address the LED Par's individually)

..when I asked him if they dim right down properly he was adamant they dimmed just like halogen bulbs. Yeah right

If it turns out he's not actually full of sh!t and they do dim properly, we will all want to know what they are!

..when I asked him if they dim right down properly he was adamant they dimmed just like halogen bulbs. Yeah right

If it turns out he's not actually full of sh!t and they do dim properly, we will all want to know what they are!

I did find them online when I was last at venue, but can't remember the make nor find them in my browser history.

Thanks for the feedback guys.... Currently I'm swaying towards the "Artistic Licence Light-Switch" as the wall switch needs to look as simple as possible for the non tech-savy folk ** laughs out loud **

• 2 weeks later...

Little update....

On personal inspection of the LED Panel Lights they are not DALI dimmable in the slightest, as they have fitted basic Leading/Trailing Edge Dimmable supplies for them.

So what installation dimmers will be compatible with the lights??

I was thinking of going with the Anytronics DP805F

Thanks

On personal inspection of the LED Panel Lights they are not DALI dimmable in the slightest, as they have fitted basic Leading/Trailing Edge Dimmable supplies for them.

So what installation dimmers will be compatible with the lights??

I was thinking of going with the Anytronics DP805F

Oh dear, welcome to a world of pain.

Leading edge dimmers (normal triac dimmers such as the one you suggest) are very unpredictable if the load is entirely LED (i.e. no old tungsten fittings on the same circuit).

I have an LED installation with Lightprocessor Paradime dimmers and had to fit some 100W tungsten lamps as a dummy load, as otherwise the LEDs would flicker and/or stick at full when you tried to dim them. This is because of the capacitance of the LED power supplies.

Trailing edge dimmers are supposed to be much better but I have struggled to find any, other than domestic wall knob type dimmers, or mega expensive rack type ones.

A quick aside about the LED pars linked to in the original message. They are very dim and whilst they would look OK as "eye candy" pointed out towards an audience, you're not going to get much actual illumination from them. It might be best to order one or two up to try out first.

Archived