Children's Roundabout

steve h

Hi All

Long time since my last post but I hope someone out there can help!

I'm trying to source a children's roundabout, the outside playground in the middle of a park sort. Hoping for about 1m diameter but not in a position to be picky

I'm chasing councils and scrap to see if there's one out there somewhere, condition isn't really a problem.

Does anyone either have one or have any leads I could follow up?

Thanks

Steve

The problem you'll have is that all the "proper" ones are designed to be concreted to the ground / are in no way freestanding and will also weigh a ton. I think this is one of those situations where building something yourself is actually going to be considerably less work than trying to adapt an existing one.

Our theatre technician built one for a show this week. I'll see what his plans are for it afterwards. Transport could be tricky; not designed to come apart!

awesome. if you could let me know that would be superb :)

how hard can it be to make one?

assuming the 1M is a diameter? Not radius?

1M is tiny.

Just cut a circle from shuttering ply and use poly plumbing pipe to make four handles that rise up and bend at 90 degrees then meet in the middle?

then paint in red and yellow or something.

how hard can it be to make one?

assuming the 1M is a diameter? Not radius?

1M is tiny.

Just cut a circle from shuttering ply and use poly plumbing pipe to make four handles that rise up and bend at 90 degrees then meet in the middle?

then paint in red and yellow or something.

Sounds like the sort of thing that was knocked up on an open stages day I attended where they demonstrated how to make a miniature revolve with a short scaff bar as the centre pole and four castors from flint's.

When we made one we just mounted a wooden disk on a large motor as a bearing and used plastic drain pipe for the handles. The fact it was on a motor meant it could rotate electrically too, although in hindsight we should probably have used a gearbox. We had to just jab the button briefly to make it rotate in bursts as any longer resulted in a loud siren noise and the actors going all blurry. We don't have it any more though as it exploded centrifugally in the middle of a performance.

Cheers for all the replies. The main issue with building one is that the handles need to be weight bearing, so polypipe is a no. As I said, I am looking in to building it, I'm just looking at all options!

Steve

Archived