Moving Light With Framing Shutters

Tim gregory

I'd disagree there Shez. Hawthorn do indeed have some Alpha Profiles in their hire stock, they have the Alpha Profile QWO 800 ST in stock and these are a very compact, high performance shuttering unit. They are about the same size as the Alpha Profile 700 and only weigh 32kgs.

V*L1000/1100 are about as far away from small that you can get. You also need to be careful with the spec as they come in six different variants, of which only three have shutters.

It is only the two arc source variants (V*L1000AS/AI) that have a separate ballast, the four tungsten variants either have an internal or external dimmer.

Agreed that while the VL1000 isn't small, it still is the best Tungsten profile with framing shutters IMHO - there isn't really much option in that bracket of fixture either.

The Alphas and the Vipers are comparable in size, but the Alpha 700 is smaller and there is an option with framing shutters - but from experience trying to get them, there aren't that many in the UK it seems (Alpha 700 Profile)

There are plenty of older fixtures like Mac 2000s that have shutter options and can probably do the job.

Thanks.

Robe Robin MMX Blade. Super bright and quite small. Weighs about 27kg.

Richard Martin Lighting have them in stock, but do not know who does in your part of the country. Ian Brown at Robe would be happy to help you though I'm sure.

They also have a wash/beam version which is even smaller.

http://www.robe.cz/products/article/robin-mmx-blade/

http://www.robe.cz/products/article/robin-mmx-washbeam/

Robe Robin MMX Blade. Super bright and quite small. Weighs about 27kg.

Ahh yeah, I forgot about those. They are similar in size to the equivalent Alpha. Quite a nice fixture actually.

Richard Martin Lighting have them in stock, but do not know who does in your part of the country.

I didn't realise RML had them!! I knew they had the Wash/Beam, but not the blade. Theres nothing on the website, and I don't recall it being announced on FB either…

Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you for all the replies.

The lights are going on top of truss uprights so the lighter the better really, else it is going to be a mission to rig.

I think I may be better off getting a set of rectangle gobo's for my existing lights rather than try and use framing shutters.

Thanks,

Tim

Archived