exhaust smoke

topsy100

hi chaps

First of all I need to say I am on a tight budget here so cant go silly on a solution. Basically I want to have smoke coming from the exhaust of a motorbike for about 2 mins during a scene of a show I am working on. I thought about pyro but works out expensive as I only need six shows and only supply in boxes of 12. I then thought of a small smoke machine battery operated but too expensive to buy. My question is does anyone have a look solutions battery smoke machine they would be prepared to lend me for a week or for a reasonable fee? I would pay for fluid? the show is in leeds and I am based in darlington so anywhere with 30 miles of either place would be great to avoid the silly cost of transport.

Lots of options here.

That looks good but not being a model enthusiast what sort of output would I get do you think? would any of this stuff create enough pressure?

Have you thought about smoke pellets?

Yea I did but then thought how would they get lit and would it create the pressure needed to come from an exhaust

Lots of options here.

That looks good but not being a model enthusiast what sort of output would I get do you think? would any of this stuff create enough pressure?

Have you thought about smoke pellets?

Yea I did but then thought how would they get lit and would it create the pressure needed to come from an exhaust

my experience of the pellets is with some flash paper and an electronic match, or glow plug, I have seen both methods work very well. If you have a small motherboard fan I imagine you will get quite a push

How much smoke do you /think/ comes out of an exhaust pipe?

It's surprisingly little and frankly a smoke machine / pyro / smoke pellet is going to look ridiculous. Personally I'd be hacking an e-cig to give a few occasional bursts of smoke rather than the constant stream you're talking about.

It's surprisingly little and frankly a smoke machine / pyro / smoke pellet is going to look ridiculous. Personally I'd be hacking an e-cig to give a few occasional bursts of smoke rather than the constant stream you're talking about.

but like all things stage related it has to be bigger than real life or you wont see it...... good idea though

That depends on the bike (and the state of it) doesn't it? I had a KH 125 when I were a lad that would have given a Mini-mist a run for its money on a cold morning. :)

There is this "odd" expectation amongst the theatre technical world that any car or motorbike on a stage has to be kicking smoke out of its exhaust to make it look "real" when in actual fact it adds very little to the performance and in the majority of times I've seen it it actually distracted from the performance. If you're going to have exhaust smoke kicking out the back end then you should really have fans blowing the performers hair, speakers inside the bike making engine noises and a video wall behind them showing moving scenery if you're going to be consistently "authentic"

Have another look at my suggestion, then think a bit more about it and you'll realise how it is EXACTLY the answer to your problem and how simply the idea can be adjusted to produce as much or little smoke as you want......

Lots of options here.

There's no pressure at all. They are all effectively open tanks containing special oil with a heating coil at the bottom. They have to be kept vertical (think chimney for the smaller ones). I used a Faller 180690 last year to create a smoking bomb for a play. The result is a wispy plume. The smoke was only adequate when the maximum 18V was supplied by two PP3 batteries and mistakenly overfilling the tank diminished the effect. It was also a challenge ensuring the bomb was kept upright when carried by the actor. I doubt the smoke would come out of a horizontal exhaust pipe.

Archived