Long strings of fairy lights

Nick LX

Looking to rig a 25m string of fairy lights between two rigging points in the ceiling. The actual fairy lights are 1m long with screw connections. As they obviously don't have any rigging on them I have two ideas:

1) Cable tie the fairy lights at each end (however, I'm cannot find any information about what the longest unsupported length of them is)

2) Run a steel wire between the two rigging points and tape the fairy lights along the length.

So, I obviously want to go for number 2, however: where might I be able to hire a steel wire that is 25m long? This will be one time use so don't want to purchase the wire and make it up.

Cheers

Canford do 3mm SWR at around 30p per metre but you could probably blag a used length off your local marquee company. Rope Assemblies do black SWR.

I used to carry a tub of Big Game monofilament fishing line for fairy lights and lightweight screens for the raves. Lots of colours, black and clear available, under a tenner per 100M and throw-away after use.

Cheers guys. Looks like some fishing line is probably the best bet. I'm sure the fairy lights can hold their own weight, but will be good to have something to stop them from sagging in the middle.

It will be extremely unlikely that you can tension fishing line over 25 metres without sagging.

You really need to check what the 'rigging points' are designed for. Make sure that you not just look at the vertical load but also take the lateral load into consideration.

Any chance of a few pick-ups along the line?

Cheers guys. Looks like some fishing line is probably the best bet. I'm sure the fairy lights can hold their own weight, but will be good to have something to stop them from sagging in the middle.

It will be extremely unlikely that you can tension fishing line over 25 metres without sagging.

You really need to check what the 'rigging points' are designed for. Make sure that you not just look at the vertical load but also take the lateral load into consideration.

Assuming that the lateral loading is good for it, a "Trucker's Hitch" can be an extremely good way of tensioning fishing line or other similar things over long distances. It uses a loop in the working side of the line to give you a 2:1 mechanical advantage when pulling. I have done a lot of fibre rope or fishing line catenaries this way. (Called a truckers hitch as it was quite useful for tying down loads / covers pre-ratchet straps).

http://www.animatedk...x.php?LogoImage

http://www.animatedknots.com/photos/truckers/truckersR7.jpg

Assuming that the lateral loading is good for it, a "Trucker's Hitch" can be an extremely good way of tensioning fishing line or other similar things over long distances. It uses a loop in the working side of the line to give you a 2:1 mechanical advantage when pulling. I have done a lot of fibre rope or fishing line catenaries this way. (Called a truckers hitch as it was quite useful for tying down loads / covers pre-ratchet straps).

http://www.animatedk...x.php?LogoImage

A trucker's hitch is not going to give you 25 (twenty five) metres of any size cable or line without sagging.

http://www.animatedknots.com/photos/truckers/truckersR7.jpg

You'd be surprised actually!

You wouldn't be able to get it to guitar-like tightness, but using such a knot would certainly help you get more slack out of it than without.

Archived