Behringer x32 compact

danlightingman210

Hi guys

I have just purchased a behringer x32 compact mixing desk and today it has arrived. It all works great except from the expansion card on the back of the desk that it comes with is just the USB expansion card not the USB and FireWire card as advertised on most of the online specs. I just want to check that this isn't an error and that this is the new card that is sent or something has changed with the newer models? So baisacly just to check my desk is okay and that's what it's suppose to come with! I bought it from a third party company for just short of £1800 so is that the right price for a base model with just the USB card? I'm just seeing if any of you have found the same thing when you've purchased one!

Thanks dan

If you take a careful look at the Behringer website it appears that the USB only interface is slowly replacing the dual one - at least for the products other than the X32 full size version. The images, for example, of the rear of the X32 Rack show the USB only. The blurb for the X32 compact sometimes implies it has the Firewire version, sometimes the USB only. The rear shot of the X32 compact and producer both show the USB only. But the rear shot of the X32 still shows the dual purpose card.

understanding of this (and misunderstanding) seems to vary.

My understanding is that all levels below the flagship x32 come with usb only and that the xuf card (including firewire) is only fitted as standard on the flagship model. the card with firewire is available for separate purchase - thomann have it listed as available within a couple of days but not in stock and at a cost of £260 plus carriage.

I understood that later generations of the flagship (perhaps after tomorrow's changes are announced) will come with only usb but every full console already out there should have the xuf card fitted - worth checking if it's important to you (see below).

I understand that when the trade show starts tomorrow behringer will unveil their new replacement interface cards, which they have already posted photos of

32 channel dante card, 32 channel MADI card, 32 channel ADAT card and given their previous statements these should b in the shops next month alongside the xuf card.

So do you need or will you miss the firewire capability on the compact and other models?

I'm not a digital recording expert but certainly for multitrack recording either live or with studio overdubbing, so far the USB connection has been fine for me - the desk sends raw untreated data via the card to PC and if you send that back untreated, treat within the console (adding eq, compression etc) then that works fine via USB. and it continues working as you add one overdub at a time because it's still untreated. I then send a 2 channel master back to PC to record a 'master' and the whole thing sits fine using USB

This much I know works and can vouch for. Perhaps someone else can comment on more complex digital recording techniques and the point at which usb is not sufficient.

I've used my X32 with my macbook via the firewire 800 socket on the computer, but left it somewhere. I had a USB cable, and used that instead. 32 in and out didn't make any difference. With audio we did used to recommend firewire over USB for data integrity and a glitch free life, but I don't know if USB got better, but it works with no glitches for me. Going into my PC, I can confirm 32 in and 16 out work fine - but I've not tried anything else on the final 16. I have had no issues with glitching at all.

with USB3 becoming more popular, firewire doesn't have the speed edge anymore, so being phased out IMO.

Ive used the 32 in/out over USB to a fairly modest spec machine and it seems to be stable enough, not used it in any critical situations yet, my connected PC is more for FX playback than recording, I would prefer something a bit more meaty for doing 32ch both ways,

Thanks for your help there guys sounds like it Is the right card so that's good! Just one more quick question is the compact suppose to come with tracktion software? I know the big x32 does or did come with it but not to sure of the compact is suppose to...as mine doesn't!

Thanks again

Thanks for your help there guys sounds like it Is the right card so that's good! Just one more quick question is the compact suppose to come with tracktion software? I know the big x32 does or did come with it but not to sure of the compact is suppose to...as mine doesn't!

Thanks again

from Behringer's web site:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/tracktion/index.aspx?utm_source=Kyle+Press+List&utm_campaign=6ef23681c5-Linux_PR5_22_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a0125d5fc6-6ef23681c5-92075681

HOW TO DOWNLOAD TRACKTION 4

Register your BEHRINGER product on our Product Registration Page.

Within 24 hours you will receive an email with your exclusive TRACKTION 4 redemption code.

Browse to the TRACKTION website.

Create a 'Redeem Hardware License' Account. Verify the account after you received the verification email from TRACKTION.

During checkout, please enter the TRACKTION 4 redemption code.

Download the software and install it on your computer.

That makes sense! Just realised there's a rattling sound inside the desk from one of the ribbons going from the screen to the control panel! (It's a long ribbon) What happened was I put the desk on it's front (the thin front at the bottom not the front of the actual desk) and I did this to look underneath of it then I sort of moved it from side to side to move the desk around and it was when doing this that I heard the sound so it did take me to do that to make it be heard. I had to move the desk around to make the ribbon rattle around. Does that sound normal? Is it just a long ribbon moving around? Would it be possible to see if anybody else's x32 compact does the same? Your help will be much appreciated!

Cheers

Archived