Removing epoxy resin

ojc123

Someone 'borrowed' my Araldite. They returned it. They put it in my tool box instead of the drawer it lives in. They didn't put the lid on properly. The resin has leaked over the tools and they are now horribly sticky. The hardener hasn't leaked.

Investigations continue into who the someone is.

Googling suggests Isopropyl Alcohol. Has anyone with experience of removing the resin got any advice? There's a good few quids worth of tools affected. I could do without replacing them.

Someone 'borrowed' my Araldite. They returned it. They put it in my tool box instead of the drawer it lives in. They didn't put the lid on properly. The resin has leaked over the tools and they are now horribly sticky. The hardener hasn't leaked.

Investigations continue into who the someone is.

Googling suggests Isopropyl Alcohol. Has anyone with experience of removing the resin got any advice? There's a good few quids worth of tools affected. I could do without replacing them.

Sounds like a sticky situation...

</unhelpfulness>

:D

This has happened to me - and it is difficult to 'clean up'.

Using a cloth, or paper, to remove as much as possible, isn't too effective - and dirt and cloth fibres stick in the resin.

I have toyed with the idea of applying the hardener - as the solidified adhesive might be easier to scrape or crack off......

Might be worth contacting the manufacturer to find out the best solvent to use?

Do remember that resins are usually irritants - so prevent skin contact, if possible.

Archived