Lenses on Selecon Pacific

vinntec

I am lighting a show at a new venue in a few months so did a site survey. Their FOH stock consists of a multitude of Selecon Pacifics most of which are zooms. Some are easy to pick out due to their shape, but others look exactly the same as each other but are different lens options. Although the light was not brilliant in their roof, I couldn't see any markings on them to say what the lens fitted was? Am I going mad as this could be awkward during get-in trying to sort out which is which?

There are only a few lens tube sizes, and then they have different lenses.

I think the most common is 23-50 Zoom, which is the regular-ish size tube with the ridge along the top.

The fixed sizes using that lens tube then have all have different colour knobs on the lens to mark lens angle:

23-50 Two black knobs

Fixed 20 Red

Fixed 30 Ochre (Brown)

Fixed 40 Grey

Fixed 50 Blue

I think the only other fixed options are 90deg and 5deg but you'll spot either of those by the tube size. (90 stubby and 5 as long as a followspot).

Then some of the other zooms also share a tube but the zooms tend to be marked - although it's only a paper label so may have fallen off. Basically the tubes get shorter the wider the angle as you would expect.

They are heavier than you expect, and watch out for trailing anything across the heatsinks on the back as you can burn through just about anything on them.

Hi Tom - the pair I was particularly concerned about were 23-50 and 12-28 which are obvious when you have both together as the 12-28 is slightly longer (by 2cm or so), but not if you in the dark with one of them in your hands. However, looking at photos of a 23-50 shows a strange ridge along the top as you described. In which case, this means I should be able to identify them reliably provided it is always there. The only fixed beam ones are 90 degree which are pretty obvious. The other zooms are 5.5/13 which are ginormous and need a weightlifter to move. So problem solved I think. Thanks.

Hi there

We have both the 12-28s and the 23-50s and there is a fair difference between then, mainly the 23-50 is a plastic moulded tube but the 12-28 is a folded sheet metal tube, you couldn't confuse them. We have fixed 30s and 40s as well which are the real pain to tell apart.

I will post a picture tomorrow when I am at work of a 12-28 and a 23-50 next to each other to show differences.

Hi Tom - yes would appreciate it. Looking at the archives also suggests that the 23-50 tube looks identical/similar to the medium fixed range options? The 23-50 has "Selecon" moulded on one side and could just as well have had "23-50" at the same time so I wonder if it is because it is multiuse and can be converted to single focus by changing the lenses, rather than the complete tube like other lanterns?

Provided the inventory is accurate and there are no other versions kicking around, and I am pretty sure it is, it seems these two types can be easily distinguished provided you know what to look for: Plastic + ridge = 23-50, Metal + no ridge = 12-28. Phew! Peter

Yes, the 23-50 tube is the same tube used for those fixed options above, everything from 20 to 50, so you can convert them by just buying the spare lenses. We have 23-50s, fixed 30s and fixed 40s, so the fixed tubes are a pain to tell apart from the ground when they are on the rig.

The 12-28 zoom shares a lens tube with the 14-35 so as long as there are none of those you should be okay.

There are other versions. Normally there is a sticker on the lenstube to indicate what the beamspread is.

This from Selecon's website; which I found via a quick Google search on "selecon pacific lens tubes" ... ;)

Pacific 5.5°-13° Zoomspot

Pacific 7.5°-19° Zoomspot

Pacific 12°-28° Zoomspot

Pacific 14°-35° Zoomspot

Pacific 23°-50° Zoomspot

Pacific 45°-75° Zoomspot

Pacific 5° Fixed Beam

Pacific 20° Fixed Beam

Pacific 30° Fixed Beam

Pacific 40° Fixed Beam

Pacific 50° Fixed Beam

Pacific 90° Fixed Beam

David

Hi there

We have both the 12-28s and the 23-50s and there is a fair difference between then, mainly the 23-50 is a plastic moulded tube but the 12-28 is a folded sheet metal tube, you couldn't confuse them. We have fixed 30s and 40s as well which are the real pain to tell apart.

I will post a picture tomorrow when I am at work of a 12-28 and a 23-50 next to each other to show differences.

The Selecon Pacific 12/28s in our Community Theatre have plastic lens tubes.

That's unusual I'm sure ours are metal although they have plastic fittings at both ends. If they are plastic then they are a different moulding to the 23-50s. I will check tomorrow and report back. Also have a larger gel frame than the 23-50s so that could be another way to distinguish.

That's unusual I'm sure ours are metal although they have plastic fittings at both ends. If they are plastic then they are a different moulding to the 23-50s. I will check tomorrow and report back. Also have a larger gel frame than the 23-50s so that could be another way to distinguish.

Hi Tom - yes I noticed the different frame size and that was my plan B! It shouldn't matter if they are plastic or metal as long as they have the same distinctive markings (ridge on 23-50). I believe the 12-28s I saw yesterday were plastic, but wasn't something I was looking closely at. Peter

Apologies it took longer than expected but snapped a 12-28 and a 23-50 together at work this morning. The 23-50 is a little shorter but the easiest way to tell is that moulded ridge on the lens tube.

Our 12-28s are metal sheeted lens tubes as well, although they are a matt paint finish.

http://I.imgur.com/z01iCH7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived