pantomime cow

WiLL

A bizarre set of coincidences recently saw me making two pantomime cow costumes, one for my work, the other for a panto company. I thought I'd look around and see what was easily available to 'the common man' as it were.

I found this was by far the predominating product:

panto cow suit on ebay

£347!!?? Seriously? It looks awful. Hence my decision to make one of my own for my works production of 'Gypsy - the musical'. The conicidence comes when just a few hours after making that decision I get a call up from an old mate asking if I could make him a cow head for a panto, I thought, why not? If you're going to make one, why not two? I thought my work could use the prototype first head, and the refined one could go to my mate after he'd seen and handled the first to give me some feedback (I'd never made a pantomime anything before).

Which brings me back to the price of that ebay one (which is the same product I found on dozens of fancy-dress/costumier and panto hire company websites).

I made my two heads for a little under the cost of that one costume. I have a photo of the prototype in use here

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/WiLLF77/1470229_10151874862526144_2000941389_n_zps23b507dd.jpg'

It's about 20% bigger than the one for my pal, but essentially the same with working mouth and blinking/winking eyes. Only trouble is now I'm stuck with a pantomime cow, it's currently hanging in a backstage stairwell staring at a giant Aslan puppet which I am also stuck with. Hey-Ho.

Looking awful is in the eyes of the beholder.

http://I.ebayimg.com/t/2-Man-Person-Pantomime-Cow-Costume-/00/s/MjM2WDE3Nw==/z/nOIAAOxy9DRSCMxh/$T2eC16Z,!y8E9s2flC19BSCM)gkr6Q~~60_35.JPG

I don't personally like the material, but the number of hours to make such a thing, as you are aware, are not inconsiderable. The time delay in production indicates it's intensive, so I don;'t consider £300 expensive - and you could no doubt ask them to make a Fresian rather than a Jersey if you wanted to?

The people who make the more solid types ask thousands for their versions - so while it's not the most realistic of cows, it doesn't look too bad.

• 10 months later...

A bizarre set of coincidences recently saw me making two pantomime cow costumes, one for my work, the other for a panto company. I thought I'd look around and see what was easily available to 'the common man' as it were.

I found this was by far the predominating product:

panto cow suit on ebay

£347!!?? Seriously? It looks awful. Hence my decision to make one of my own for my works production of 'Gypsy - the musical'. The conicidence comes when just a few hours after making that decision I get a call up from an old mate asking if I could make him a cow head for a panto, I thought, why not? If you're going to make one, why not two? I thought my work could use the prototype first head, and the refined one could go to my mate after he'd seen and handled the first to give me some feedback (I'd never made a pantomime anything before).

Which brings me back to the price of that ebay one (which is the same product I found on dozens of fancy-dress/costumier and panto hire company websites).

I made my two heads for a little under the cost of that one costume. I have a photo of the prototype in use here

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/WiLLF77/1470229_10151874862526144_2000941389_n_zps23b507dd.jpg'

It's about 20% bigger than the one for my pal, but essentially the same with working mouth and blinking/winking eyes. Only trouble is now I'm stuck with a pantomime cow, it's currently hanging in a backstage stairwell staring at a giant Aslan puppet which I am also stuck with. Hey-Ho.

Hi

Have been looking with interest at your cow, is it available for hire.

forrest

Archived