Mixing desk with plug in simple remote

Bazz339

Is there a digital desk available with maybe 24 or 32 analogue inputs and a plug in simple remote giving control of maybe level and muting and possibly able to tell the desk to recall one or two scenes.

It would be good if more sophisticated remote control could be available via a wireless PC or Tablet computer.

Ideally I would like something like the Allen and Heath Idr system with more inputs, a proper mixer mixer control surface for the main operating position and a PL6 wall plate but what they have available does not fully fit the bill.

Hi Bazz. Take a look at the Roland M-200i, recently re-priced at £1699 +vat, featuring 24 inputs (16 x XLR, 6 x TRS, 2 RCA), 14 outputs and full iPad control as well as expandable to 32 inputs with a stage box. Ships with wireless dongle as well as cable to access desk control via iPad. iPad app is free. iPad app is fully featured inc control over gates and comps. Desk has its own screen and works stand alone too!.

More info here: http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.co.uk/products/100117

Regards

Chris

Is there a digital desk available with maybe 24 or 32 analogue inputs and a plug in simple remote giving control of maybe level and muting and possibly able to tell the desk to recall one or two scenes.

It would be good if more sophisticated remote control could be available via a wireless PC or Tablet computer.

Ideally I would like something like the Allen and Heath Idr system with more inputs, a proper mixer mixer control surface for the main operating position and a PL6 wall plate but what they have available does not fully fit the bill.

Where does using an iDR rack from the iLives series not fit your requirements, an iDR-32 will have 32 inputs, you can plug a PL6 into it, and use the iOS, windows, or Mac editors with it, plus the iLive surface. I have one that I provide basic control to the in house IT team via a PL10 doing exactly this.

I'm confused too, where does an iLive or X32 not fit the requirement stated? The X32 has a simple interface at the desk/stage with faders and mutes instantly available and a sophisticated interface wirelessly via the iPad/OSX/PC app.

What I'd like is a Mackie DL1604 (which I have) or X32 Rack app which I could hitch up to a midi or USB surface (Berry BCF2000) via a wifi laptop or iPad. We have experimented with a couple of BCF2000s and a laptop running iLive software but it's not there yet (and the iLive system is just too expensive for my pub/small venue rig).

surely something like the x32 would work well in this situation? it has a free ipad app, which can be as simple or complicated as you require?

The X32 also support OSC so with a little effort any OSC app can be programmed to make a remote control of arbitrary simpleness or complexity.

The OP specified simple wired control and full feature control via Laptop/Tablet.

On the A&H side what specifically doesn't the system do that you require? As other wise iDR32 + Surface + P6 wall plate + iPad + MixPad app seems to tick your boxes?

If you need to recall presets as well an additional PL-3 wall plate which has 4 programmable buttons would be needed.

On the A&H side what specifically doesn't the system do that you require? As other wise iDR32 + Surface + P6 wall plate + iPad + MixPad app seems to tick your boxes?

If you need to recall presets as well an additional PL-3 wall plate which has 4 programmable buttons would be needed.

You wouldn't actually need the PL3, just use one row of buttons on the PL6 as mutes, and the other row for scene recall. It's a really slick solution, that sold me on the iLive, just wish they'd improve the scene management!

Where does using an iDR rack from the iLives series not fit your requirements, an iDR-32 will have 32 inputs, you can plug a PL6 into it, and use the iOS, windows, or Mac editors with it, plus the iLive surface. I have one that I provide basic control to the in house IT team via a PL10 doing exactly this.

Thank you for that pointer I was not aware that the Ilive range could be used with the PL Controllers and will also have a look a the Idr32.

I guess with a full console the users can mess up patching, dynamics , routing... take down the whole system whereas level and mute controls are harder to mess up?

Correct.

Good advertisement Chris, but did you read the OP? they want SIMPLE control. Unless your 'full featured'ipad app can do just level and mute, I don't think it fits the bill?

Wish I had a pound for every time I read X32 etc...., Roland make a great desk at a great price - I did read the OP, notably the request for a more sophisticated option...... informed choice is the order of the day :) Object of the forum, No?

Turning the iPad channel strip to Long Fader gives the user exactly that, simple control. The rest is there but you don't have to use it! Roland co-invented MIDI and of course, supports MIDI too........

Good advertisement Chris, but did you read the OP? they want SIMPLE control. Unless your 'full featured'ipad app can do just level and mute, I don't think it fits the bill?

Wish I had a pound for every time I read X32 etc...., Roland make a great desk at a great price - I did read the OP, notably the request for a more sophisticated option...... informed choice is the order of the day :) Object of the forum, No?

Turning the iPad channel strip to Long Fader gives the user exactly that, simple control. The rest is there but you don't have to use it! Roland co-invented MIDI and of course, supports MIDI too........

Thank you for the pointer to Roland I will have a look at that as well but am unfamiliar with their products and have not used MIDI.

I want to use a wired remote to control some channels because for the installation I am looking at that is I believe the best option. They don't get lost or "borrowed" and only offer access to the limited functions required. At other times the desk would be operated either directly or via wireless using an IPad, Tablet or Laptop.

Archived