LED house lights/floods

Kevin Robertson

A load (about 10) of cheap RGB LED "par cans" is a cheap simple solution that will be comparable with your existing light output but with the advantage of DMX control and the ability to wash the venue with different colours / effects as needed. with change from £400 including all your cables & screws. The dimming isn't as smooth as a real dimmer but for house lighting it's more than OK. When one malfunctions just throw it away and replace.

"Architectural" LED lighting or bastardised "non theatre" LED units will be more expensive, require modification and lots of time and head-scratching developing interfaces and adapters to make them controllable via your existing systems all for something which will only be as good as the LED parcan solution

A load (about 10) of cheap RGB LED "par cans" is a cheap simple solution that will be comparable with your existing light output but with the advantage of DMX control and the ability to wash the venue with different colours / effects as needed. with change from £400 including all your cables & screws. The dimming isn't as smooth as a real dimmer but for house lighting it's more than OK. When one malfunctions just throw it away and replace.

"Architectural" LED lighting or bastardised "non theatre" LED units will be more expensive, require modification and lots of time and head-scratching developing interfaces and adapters to make them controllable via your existing systems all for something which will only be as good as the LED parcan solution

Hi,

Thanks for that reply. I had thought of that, but for various reasons, 1 being that I have chilli net running the house lights from 4 different locations as well as DMX over ride and neatness of running DMX and DMX controllers as well as the EOS Ti, I am looking to replace with LED dimmable.

Thanks

Kevin

Hi All,

One of my venues has 4 500W codas as house lights.

I am looking to either replace these with LED floods or a 500W led lamp... but they need to DIM... any ideas?

Thanks

Kevin

Even LED fixtures that claim to be compatible with lighting circuits driven off dimmers eventually snap off. To get a smooth dimming all the way to out you need to run hard power to a LED driver and use that to control the power getting to the LEDs, or use LED fixtures that take hard power and some sort of control (e.g. DMX).

Selecon have their PL LED house light system, unusual in that its RGB as well as W. Full DMX control. I'll wager that it is (a) amazing, and (b) expensive. But in the context of hard to reach locations over a long life span, its probably a bargain.

Kevin,

How important is a smooth dimming response? I have a similar issue to solve in a church - existing house lights (PAR38s and 56s) run off a dimmer channel that can be controlled by a programmed 0-10V switch plate or via DMX.

PAR38 LEDs wouldn't dim too gracefully at the lower end, but would certainly reduce the power costs, so I think I'll try a few and see how it works...

At the moment, I'm considering Toshiba PAR38 Reflector Lamps.

Simon

Archived