Wireless audio transmitter

s-p

With a cheap wireless mic like this, could I take the XLR transmitter bit and connect to a desk's output?

Then put the receiver somewhere else, and pick up the feed with the receiver?

The problem I see is the transmiter receiving power.

Would this work? My reason for asking is to provide a sound feed to a Zero88 Bullfrog, a long way from the sound desk.

Cheers,

sp

No.. just, no.

I have one of these microphones, and the 'XLR transmitter bit' isn't a 'transmitter bit'. It is simply an aerial or 'antenna'. The transmission comes from inside the microphone somewhere.

Not only that, (correct me if I'm wrong - I'm no soundie) but my microphone outputs 600ohms, whereas the output from a desk is a higher ohmic rating. Common sense would have it that if you can't do something properly and with the right equipment, then don't do it at all, 'cause you'll probably damage the desk or something.

I've seen those in several lesser electronics shops, They have a life of one or two uses and they were all in the upper broadcast band or the vhf air nav band, - round 105 to 115MHz. Not an optimal solution. 100m of cheap audio coax should cost less and work better.

Theoretically (and I know this is no use to the OP, sorry!) could you use an IEM TX, and a Radio Mic RX set to the same frequency? TX at the desk end, RX at the far end. Or just use the IEM RX unit at the far end? Still less reliable than the wired option, but possibly a bit faster and neater than trailing cables, then you could use this system to distribute audio to several areas at once. Or am I just speaking BS now?

Theoretically (and I know this is no use to the OP, sorry!) could you use an IEM TX, and a Radio Mic RX set to the same frequency? TX at the desk end, RX at the far end. Or just use the IEM RX unit at the far end? Still less reliable than the wired option, but possibly a bit faster and neater than trailing cables, then you could use this system to distribute audio to several areas at once. Or am I just speaking BS now?

That'll work - we've used that very method for getting a mix out of the FOH desk into a DV camera elsewhere in the room.

I have a micron radio mic that has zillions of input options - one is a balanced XLR feed. I once used this outdoors at a village gala day to get an audio feed to a small PA whic was at the other side of a field to the main stage...

Getting back to the original question - which was finding an audio input for a lighting desk - since probably all this is doing is generating step triggers and sound quality won't be critical, would it be possible to use an ambient mic and pre-amp?

Bruce.

I've got a sennheiser plug in tx with XLR (for turning any mic into a radio) - it works fine running direct off an aux on my desks, with 20 or 30 db att turned on. as has been said, ideal for sending to remote cams or in ears for comms

Archived