Strand Tempus Single phase 13 amp

Magra

Hi.

I was wondering if it's possible to use a strand tempus Dimmer with normal domestic 13 amp plugs.

I've recently got a Tempus Dimmer and controller and wouldn't mind being able to use it in an art studio

which has no 3 phase or funds for generators etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

:)

Yes. You will of course be limited to plugging no more than 3kW of lanterns in to the dimmer. Or if you connect more, only turning on up to 3k at any one time.

Edit to add: Make sure someone competent who understand your needs builds the adapter leads.

Cheers guys

I just got the Dimmer recently and it had a 13 amp plug coming straight from it... Do you think it's safe?

I just tried it in my garage because it has a separate power supply to the house and it worked and dimmed with the controller

but when I plugged it out and in to a different socked it tripped the main garage circuit breaker... I don't have much experience with old dimmers,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what needs to be done

Cheers

Colm

It's difficult to be sure without knowing the setup of your garage power.

Did you reset the breaker and did it then work? If so then you probably just caught a surge on switch-on - those dimmers can have quite an inrush when first powered up.

If you can't reset the beaker, or if it keeps tripping out then you have something more serious wrong and should get the unit checked out by someone competent.

You should also get the cable checked. It may well be safe if it is a correctly rated cable, but if it's under rated (too thin) then you could have a fire hazard on your hands. Also check the cable entry (where it goes in to the dimmer). It should be firm in a clamp or gland. If it just passes through a large hole then this needs fixing as well.

Jason

You DEFINITELY need to have it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. Essential electrical checks are the integrity of earth bonding (both to the case of the unit and right through to the output sockets) and insulation resistance. On the mechanical side there are all sorts of pitfalls, including inlet strain relief as Jason mentioned. The principle of using a big dimmer on a 13A plug is absolutely fine so long as it has been wired up with adequately rated cable and is fused appropriately

Dave

If the unit came with a 13 amp plug already fitted, then it is PROBABLY fine to use it from a 13 amp outlet as is.

It would however be advisable to have someone competant to check that the plug is correctly wired and that the flex is in good condition and suitable.

As others post, the total load is limited to about 3KW, more than 3KW of lanterns may be connected if desired provided that you take care to only light 3KW worth at one time.

As regards the tripping of the supply, we would need more details as to exactly what tripped under what circumstances in order to advise.

It's definitely worth checking that is it correctly fused. You can imagine someone putting a metal link rather than a fuse so that they could draw more that 13A from the socket. Hopefully that is not the case, but only takes a moment to check it has a proper 13A fuse fitted.

That's all great stuff guys,

Thank you all :)

I found out that when it's plugged into my new sockets with an on/off switch it

works fine without tripping, it's just when it's plugged into the older ones without switches when it trips

so I'm guessing it's what Jason said about them having quite an inrush when powered on.

As for the cable I think it really needs to be changed so I'm going to try find somebody to look at it today.

Cheers

Colm

It's always worth remembering that Tempus racks will (by and large) trip any earth Leakage protection on a circuit because of the design of their earth detect circuit, this is likely to be the issue here.

If you know someone competent to open the front of the rack - check the mains wiring is OK and disconnect the earth detect then it's a simple operation. You can test the rack on a PAT tester as well - this will be made easier by it having a 13a plug fitted if you want confidence that the internal wiring is ok.

If the unit came with a 13 amp plug already fitted, then it is PROBABLY fine to use it from a 13 amp outlet as is.

Sorry, but in the real world, that's perhaps one of the most untrue statements I've seen lately.

Had you said 'It came with a 63A Ceeform' it would have held more weight, but for a unit like this to be sold with just a 13A plug-top I would be personally checking lots of things before even connecting to the mains.

Cable - it won't of course be 63A (or even 32A) rated so what cable HAS been used? If wired by an inexperienced person who knows what they did.

Plug - is the 13A plug of a decent enough quality? All plugs are NOT created equal, and inferior options are available.

Fuse - as has been said - is a suitable 13A fuse been fitted?

Above all, condition. As with ANY second hand electrical items you should always have them checked over by a competent electrician both internally and externally.

At the end of the day, my best advice is to get a sparks to upgrade the cable feed to a suitable 63A rated rubber sheathed cable and 63A Ceeform, and also make up a 13A-63A adaptor using 16A rated cable.

It's always worth remembering that Tempus racks will (by and large) trip any earth Leakage protection on a circuit because of the design of their earth detect circuit, this is likely to be the issue here.

If I remember correctly that was basically a small neon lamp connected between live and earth ;) - no wonder it would trip any RCD

Cheers guys I'm pretty sure I got it sorted

Because I all of my dimmers are strand 6 packs and came wired for 3 phase I got

a guy I know with experience with old dimmers to sort it.

He changed the little thin cable with 13 amp plug to a heavy duty one with 32 amp plug

and made a 32 amp to 13 amp adaptor.. have it plugged in and running four 500 watt lamps

for the past hour without problems

Cheers

Colm

If I remember correctly that was basically a small neon lamp connected between live and earth ;) - no wonder it would trip any RCD

Yep - and more often than not the neon failed prematurely anyway <_<

Archived