LED tape

litemog

to walk on or entirely decorative?

to be waterproof / dust proof / don't care?

recessed or ok with it standing proud?

One colour/RGB/pixel based?

Ambient light levels?

For one night only or an install?

Sorry, I didn't really provide enough information there did I. It's for a school drama project . It is purely decorative and will be walked around but not actually on so it can stand proud. It's only for a couple of short performances so doesn't need to be waterproof or dust proof. I'd quite like it to be colour mixing via DMX but I suspect budget restrictions will mean that it will probably end up being single colour (warmish white). It needs to register in dimmish stage lighting.

Sorry, I didn't really provide enough information there did I. It's for a school drama project . It is purely decorative and will be walked around but not actually on so it can stand proud. It's only for a couple of short performances so doesn't need to be waterproof or dust proof. I'd quite like it to be colour mixing via DMX but I suspect budget restrictions will mean that it will probably end up being single colour (warmish white). It needs to register in dimmish stage lighting.

Firstly, in full disclosure I am associated with a company that sells + installs these but the following is my personal opinion only.

Depends on the budget - but if you wanted to use RGB you're looking around £9/m (so 8m = £72) - if longevity / warranty / ip rating etc isn't important, then you'll get it a lot cheaper direct from the far east on eBay (and, at the end of the day, that's where almost all of it is made anyway) 8m is going to be 58W so at 24v you'll need a 3A PSU as well, that wont set you back much. Budget DMX controllers are available for about £30, better ones are available and if it was just for a short one-off event PM me and I can probably loan you one as I've a box of them I've used in various sets in the past..

If, however, you want warm white - DONT use RGB, you'll never get anything approximating warm white, particularly if the source itself is visible to the audience. the tape will be a few pounds per metre cheaper too, and you don't need the DMX controller, just a dimmable driver.

Just my 0.02 :)

If you wanted some colour changing LED tape, then White Light stock "X-Flex" which is RGB LED tape. It's cased in a rubber coating too, which helps protect it. It comes in 5m lengths and is controllable by 3 channels of DMX. Not sure how much it is to hire mind you! It's bright stuff though!

Although I may have misunderstood and it may not be appropriate for you!

The cheapest option is to use a warm white rope light.

Easy to get and usually cheap,

If you get a 240v version you can put them on a dimmer.

as they are usually a series configuration.

Try e bay or ali express.

You will be surprised how cheap they are !

This is one of those situations where frankly the cheapest crappiest LED tape will still be more than good enough - the cheap stuff isn't as durable or long lasting as the decent stuff but in this instance that doesn't matter.

Get on to ebay, buy your tape, buy a controller (led controllers that dim are widely advertised. Your only cost/complication is going to be controlling it with your other lights. Stand-alone proprietary LED controllers that dim are literally pennies but something which will accept DMX or 01-10v dimming control is (relatively) expensive. If you can live with someone having to push a separate button to dim the LED's then you could probably buy everything you need for £20 on ebay.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The X Ribbon would have been fun to play with but was well outside the budget and not available in the exact lengths required. In the end I went for some basic warm white LED's from simplelighting.co.uk. They pre cut the tape to the exact lengths, put in the right angle joins to make the square and delivered it all within 24 hours of ordering. All I had to do was stick it to the floor and connect up the power supply.

The tape was much brighter than expected. Unfortunately the 48v PSU wouldn't really dim through the venue dimmers. However the tape came with a small dimmer and key fob, and I was able to preset the appropriate brightness and then fade the tape up and down to that level via the lighting desk.

This was all part of a school A level drama exam performance. The tape was being used to define the area of a lift in which the action takes place.

picture

Archived