Drum mic kits

pumphouse

Hi folks,

Any recommendations for a reasonable set of drum mics for occasional live use? I have a budget of around £300ish for this, which would seem to fit a Samson set quite well. Does anyone have any experience of these or can you recommend anything else in this price range?

Thanks,

Jason

I'd agree that buy the best you can afford is a good policy but if it's only for occasional use you could save £135 and buy some of these http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan04/articles/red5.htm from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B002MPJ13I/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new we have a set and they do a decent job (the Audix kit at nearly 5 x the price is somewhat better mind you but double your budget). Maybe use the cash saved to buy a top notch kick mic as that'll get used more often.

+1 for Red5 mics generally and for their bass drum mic in particular, but order direct from them www.red5audio.com. a service second to none - usually next day delivery and great mics for the money.

If your purchase is not time sensitive, get on their mailing list and check in on their offers for the last week of each month. at the moment they are doing silly promotions for month end. 10 days ago, I picked up the RVD1 bass drum mic (as a spare) for £35 including postage!

if you fancy mixing and matching and/or stretching your budget, the following are worthy of consideration:

thomann t.bone EM700 condenser mics - circa £30 each, great for overheads, hi-hats and general percussion - I have used this mic in small bars and big theatres it gives a great sound with a good pick up pattern for the money (rounded rather than brittle or brash)

Shure beta 91A boundary mic as a bass drum mic - honestly the best bass drum sound I ever get is with these - just drop it inside the bass drum and lift the fader, no eq - great every time but at £240 a little beyond the specified budget

AKG D112, the industry standard bass drum mic. and a really decent sound £130

I'm still searching for a clip on snare mic at a reasonable price that I'm completely happy with.

just to go back to the Red5 thing, I got an email from them simply saying 'see something you fancy? make us an offer!' I think they REALLY do like to shift stuff for their month end figures.

If its just for occasional use I would suggest that the only extra mics you are going to need are tom mics and Bass drum mic . Mics for overheads and snare you should already have in your mic box (57 and a.n. other condensors). The Red 5 RVD9 is good for toms but budget for different clips and Bass drum to suit how much you have left over although something like a Beta 91 or Senn E901 may be a more versatile addition to your stock over a dedicated Bass drum mic

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the show using the Red5 set and I have to say I was pleased with the results. Red5 immediately despatched a replacement set as the courier lost the first lot, and were very helpful in dealing with all this.

The mics have a very solid feel to them - better than I expected.

Got a free pair of headphones as well. Couldn't have asked for more.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Glad your happy with the Red5s.

Another alternative for others out there, I used a pair of Karma Silver Bullets http://www.soundonso...lver-bullet.htm on toms last night, the kit was tuned very live and played with brushes most of the time (beaters on a couple of tunes). I found the sound much better with the mics 4" or so from the head (which, as I was committed to using rim mounts I couldn't achieve with my Beta57As) or the overtones overwhelmed the fundamental drum sound. Despite them being omnis spill wasn't an issue (though it was a pretty quiet stage) and easily gated out. Very impressed, especially for the price.

Archived