Which grade of Loctite?

david.elsbury

Hi all

Wanting to purchase some Loctite to secure threads on my DIY projects - things like M3 nuts and bolts for mounting XLR connectors, or small switches - to ensure they stay put and don't vibrate loose or anything.

Can someone suggest me which grade to use? I was leaning towards blue (medium) - but I see that they quote it as being usable for threads M6+ - would I be better to use the low duty purple stuff #222? Being able to undo it would be nice, hand tools are fine for that for me.

David

Thanks for the reply :)

Not interested in locknuts/nylocks, too hard to work with when you have an XLR hard against the bottom of a project box and it's difficult enough to get a pair of small pliers in. Not really interested in star/serrated washers, would those work on plastic boxes or just metal?

Anyone else tried/use PVA? :)

Cheers

David

God - even I did nail varnish to hold together a dodgy amplifier as the nuts kept coming off. Was pretty perfect.

But Nylocks all the way and a mini nut driver.

Done PVA also - however the one I tried was a bit too runny. Even thought was direct from a bottle, so had to clean up a little mess. Definitely cheaper than Loctite though

Nail varnish is definitely the best way, but make sure you use proper original varnish and not one of these gel or ultrahard plasticised types they do these days. You need it to crack and fall off if you do need to undo it. The other stuff will stick in the threads! Yes..Here speaks the voice of bitter experience! :angry:

The other trick is a fine string of bluetack over the top of the thread before putting the nut on.

Archived