Mic switch/splitter

Dan Bishop

I'm after a box that takes a mic input (on XLR) and gives two outputs, however I'm after a box which gives the option of switching between the outputs, so more involved than a splitter.

Does anyone know of anything? It doesn't need phantom - I just want it for shout so I can choose whether to talk to stage or the other engineer, if that makes sense...

Thanks in advance.

I'm after a box that takes a mic input (on XLR) and gives two outputs, however I'm after a box which gives the option of switching between the outputs, so more involved than a splitter.

Does anyone know of anything? It doesn't need phantom - I just want it for shout so I can choose whether to talk to stage or the other engineer, if that makes sense...

Thanks in advance.

I saw just the thing this week:

Rat Sound Tools A/B Switcher

I would imagine you could make a dual mute switch without too much difficulty, although the more I think about it the less simple it becomes.

I would have a chat with John Godsland, the very helpful chap at Orchid Electronics. Link to Orchid Electronics

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks in advance.

ProCo makes a number of mic mute and switching boxes, the one most like you want seems to be the Panic Button.

Mac

It's more than you need, and you probably wont like the $700 price tag, but the Studio Technologies Inc Model 210 could almost have been designed for the job.

I've looked at this box previously as it looks like the solution to the perennial "comms and PFL" problem as well...

My preference for shout is to split the mic using an XLR splitter cable (make your own, dead easy), and then have a channel for stage and a channel for send to foh. Release the appropriate mute button to talk to each zone or both.

I also tend to use a separate mixer for shout, which enables easier routing and means you can still communicate if the desk goes down...

I use this. Works perfectfor's.

and I love that the switch is a momentary, not a toggle. No more forgetting to switch off your TB!

The ABo version looks more appropriate to the original posters needs.

http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/hotshotabo.php

Thinking about this, there is a simple (read cheap) way if you have a Mic with an on and off switch and then just wire your own passive switch between two XLR's. I'd draw a picture but my prowess on this phone is rather limited.

Cheers,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Archived