Dichorics for Selecon Ramas

timd

I've got twelve selecon ramas with 1.2kW lamps on a truss that's very difficult to access. The gels that went last time I had access have long since burnt out, so I'd like to do something to prevent that happening again. I'm guessing that a dichoric filter would be the ideal solution, but is the reflected light that you don't get from a gel liable to cause any problems inside the lantern that outweigh the benefits of actually keeping the colour? Cost isn't an issue, but decreased lamp life would be. I'm planning on an RGB scheme, so currently looking at the Rosco dicorics as Lee don't seem to have proper primaries in dichoric.

Scroller packages come up on eBay for not much money these days. Get some gel strings made up using the same colour throughout. When one burns out just move it along one frame. Simples. I'll get my coat.

I've got twelve selecon ramas with 1.2kW lamps on a truss that's very difficult to access. The gels that went last time I had access have long since burnt out, so I'd like to do something to prevent that happening again. I'm guessing that a dichoric filter would be the ideal solution, but is the reflected light that you don't get from a gel liable to cause any problems inside the lantern that outweigh the benefits of actually keeping the colour? Cost isn't an issue, but decreased lamp life would be. I'm planning on an RGB scheme, so currently looking at the Rosco dicorics as Lee don't seem to have proper primaries in dichoric.

If you fancy the scroller option contact me off forum - peter.searles@ac-et.com - we have some very interesting packages available at very good prices.

Scrollers with a range of colours would be a much better option than RGB primaries, which is so wasteful of light output. No wonder they have burnt out.

This is slightly off the topic, but I have seen quite a lot of venues with RGB in FOH profiles and I've never really understood why - it always looks gloomy and horrible in my opinion. Sidelight and backlight with primary colours, well OK then, but face light?

I suspect that the assumption was that with red, green and blue up there, you could mix them to get any colour, including white. Of course, in the real world, we know it doesn't quite work like that...

Dichroics work well with the source at 90 degrees to them but at an acute angle like a cyc light the colour will change, so it's not a good option.

We used to have some floods with dichroic glass in them, where the colour change was the intention of the fixture - it gave a really nice graduation that looked great washing up walls. Unfortunately the dichroic was very close to the halogen bulb, so they burnt out and fader depressingly quickly.

No data on the bar unfortunately, so scrollers are out.

As an alternative to RGB, I could go with a mix of open, warm and cold lanterns. Suggestions for suitable colours to use for that?

I could go with a mix of open, warm and cold lanterns. Suggestions for suitable colours to use for that?

It's a bit of a cliché, but I tend to go with 103 and 201. Enough colour to suggest indoors / outdoors or warmth / cold but not so much that things look obviously coloured.

Archived