Bose 802 again (Please be Gentle)

mal421

I have 4 x Bose 802 on my bench at the moment ,they are not mine,the owner of which was informed that all 8 drivers in each box had blown. However all drivers meter OK and all I can find wrong are missing fuses. In one of the boxes the board with the caps on in missing a fuse, can anyone tell me what value of fuse it should be if indeed it is a fuse ? I'm reluctant to remove the same item from another box in case I manage to break it.

The datasheet for the mk2 says 4 amp quick acting.

[E2A]

Are you sure they are fuses?

It looks like they ought to be lamps...

post-207-0-86732900-1381396798_thumb.jpg

or even a PTC thermistor...

post-207-0-77742900-1381396546_thumb.png

I guess it depends on which version you have.

I'm not sure the actual item is missing, probably removed by the person who claimed all the drivers were blown ! All that is on the board is 1 capacitor and a fuse carrier. They are all 802 Series 2. The board in question is loose inside the box, I guess it should be fixed to the baffle like in the other 3 boxes in such a manner that it is difficult to see the item in question.

Thankyou for your help Brian. The 4 amp fuse I believe is the one on the back panel between the XLR Skts and that fuse is intact. Looking at your diagrams I am beginning to think I need a light bulb. Peering into another box it appears to be a single bulb/fuse like structure. I looks like I will have to dismantle another unit to find out exactly what I need, something I was hoping to avoid. Once again, thankyou for your help.

From memory, it needs a couple of 12V lamps - the "bullet-shaped" ones that you often find in car interior lights. But google doesn't find much info to back this up, so I guess best to dismantle.

That's what I used. They are fed via the capacitor (bipolar) and act as a load to dump unwanted high frequencies from what I remember.

Unfortunately , Bose won't supply parts but do offer a repair service for fixed prices. Having spent many hours re-foaming drivers and messing about finding cabinet rattles I won't hesitate using this service in the future.

Thanks for all your help. A trip to my loco all car parts shop has sorted things now I have find the real cause of the problem. All 802s are working fine with my controller and amplifiers so it's off to the venue on Monday. Once again thankyou.

Please find a copy of the original Bose 802 MKII Service manual attached.

Interesting. In there the only protection is a back panel fuse. On the PCB is a PTC used for directivity control.

So an 802 mk2 and an 802 series 2 are different designs?

Archived