Identify the microphone?

S&L

this has been driving me mad all night and it's just professional curiosity really. below is a picture of 'the civil wars' who seem to use these mics a lot for vocals. from various pictures I think I see an AKG logo at the top and I think I spot akg on the the end of the shank. and taht's as far as I can get. they look like sennheisers but they are black not grey. the capsule cage bezel is black, not silver (ruling out the D5 and others) and the bezel appears to be at the mid point of the cage (ruling out most flat ended akg's).

Anyway, a spot of midweek mic spotting fun for you guys and something possibly helpful for my future knowledge.

http://media.salon.com/2012/12/music-the-civil-wars.jpeg-1280x960.jpg

http://media.salon.com/2012/12/music-the-civil-wars.jpeg-1280x960.jpg

They first of all looked like a sennheiser offering I had seen in the past but looking at the Shure KSM9 pictures it is almost defiantly them or something very similar, couple that with the shure mic clips they are say in, I'd say you have your suspect.

Thanks guys. I spent a few minutes staring back and forward between the picture and the Shure KSM9 - I had only seen their bright finish, not realising it also came in a black finihs. it's also a mic that is well above my pay grade at £450+ a piece. I love the live results that the civil wars get with them so I shall put an earmark on the corner of that page and come back to it if/when I ever have the budget and application!

I was just looking at these the other day and they may be a low cost option for a capacitor mic if you like the look of the shures: http://www.studiospa...mic/invt/449060

thanks Gary - it was more the sound that they were getting that had me curious - I read a review last night that described the breathy quality of the mics and that sound about right - particularly towards the end of this clip.

It's always subjective listening to a video of something rather than being in the room but I liked the sound they were getting as perceived by the video - I haven't used condenser vocal mics live before but it has me thinking.

I like a capacitor on my own (not especially great) voice, I had an AKG C5900 for many years (which was basically a pro version of the C1000, an ok but not fantastic mic but better for me than a 58) and when it died last year I bought an sE-H1 which is a significant step up and a bargain at £150 street price. Very useful as a drum overhead outdoors too if I'm not singing. It has a slightly re-voiced sE-1a capsule, complete with wire mesh grill but then with an all metal multilayer wind/pop shield over the top, great build quality and studio sound, brilliant.

Archived