Another Sale

jexjexjex

Thanks Jexjexjex,

I Had not heard of this sale. Just had a flick though and one thing caught my eye....

Lot number 776: Showtec Par56, Powers up but has faults

Minimum bid is just £5 (+15% buyers premium)...

Anyone else found things to make them smile?

• 3 weeks later...

Lot776 along with 98% of the other lots failed to sell, few didn`t make reserve but a lot attracted no interest, take it Prism LED stuff failed to take off.

http://www.sweeney-kincaid.com/Sales/CatalogLots.aspx?SaleId=2106

That's a little unfair I reckon they sold a bit over 10%, however a significant proportion of that was flightcases and rubber box mains distribution. Not a lot of the rest sold.

That's a little unfair I reckon they sold a bit over 10%, however a significant proportion of that was flightcases and rubber box mains distribution. Not a lot of the rest sold.

Thats true forgot about case sales, but the golden age of being able to dump surplus gear at auction and get returns sometimes higher than the new cost is clearly over....

We bid (sensibly in most cases) on quite a lot of things in this and didn't get much at all .. seems a rule of thumb was that most used items had a reserve around 30% of the list price.

Some of the new and boxed moving heads (Coemar) attracted almost no interest - The Infinity Wash M has a list price of around £5460 and the reserve was apparently set close to 60% of that.

The trouble with auctions of this kind is simply that bargains are rare. The price are perhaps good for what you get, but few people will buy 'as seen' items for anything less than bargain bucket prices. With those Coemars - somebody looking to add to their existing hire stock could find them priced sensibly, but to people looking for a proper bargain, they're not attractive enough to take a risk with money that's perhaps 'rarer'?

I've been signed up for various auctions, but they rarely produce real bargains.

There's a couple of things that puzzle me about this auction.

WhiteLight, presumably, will have a sizeable mailing list that they could have hit with a sell-off list, and if Kincaid's aren't getting a cut they could perhaps have priced things a little lower and had more of it shift.

The Kincaid's auction was hardly subtle about where the kit was coming from, so it's not even as if their involvement added any anonymity to the process.

Also, one factor that put me off bidding was that so much was lotted individually. Winning one solitary moving light is no use at all to me. Put them together in pairs, and more bids would come in I'm sure.

I wonder what White Light will do with the remaining unsold kit now? The sheer quantity of it means the ongoing cost of storage space will be considerable...

The auctions I have seen they do seem to sell units individually regardless,

In one Kincaid's auction the flightcases for the kit was sold separately from the contents. It was a fun process trying to match things up later on.

Although apparently this was to satisfy the two finance companies, one had funded the kit, and another the cases...

Rare but good bargains sometimes are found in general auctions (not theatre or lighting related) Last year I attended an auction that was mainly household furniture and appliances, but one lot was "12 theatre lights, not working, for spares or repair" I got them for £60, for 12, not each.

They looked like fairly standard small fresnels, but in fact were equiped with 150 watt metal halide lamps, control gear built into base of lantern. All but 2 worked on replacing the lamps. Not dimmable of course which limits use in theatre, I installed 8 of them semi permenently in a village hall.

4 are fitted with congo blue gel and give a sort of UV effect for disco nights at little cost for power, gel or lamps. The other 4 are used as an addition to the stage lighting, despite not being dimmable, they are fitted with scrollers and give a lot of light for little power, a matter of some concern with only a 3 phase 60 amp supply.

The lamps are very cheap and long lasting, under £10 for many thousands of hours.

Archived