Why are cans called cans?

Illuminatio

Anyone know the answer to this? One theory is that they are often made by CANford Audio (under the Tecpro brand) but old telephones of the two-piece sort (one bit held to the mouth and one to the ear) were also called cans. I've always assumed the analogy is with two tin cans and a length of string, but does anyone have a definitive etymology?

Canford didn't exist when headphones started to be called cans. It started in the BBC in the 1930s probably because headphones in those days looked like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Brandes_Superior_Matched_Tone_c._1919-21.jpg

I seem to remember it came from the trenches slang of men who had never seen a wired telephone before and equated the miles of wires and tin earpieces with "cans'n'string" from childhood. Could be wrong. Not quite that old.

I know my great uncle had "cans" as earpieces for the crystal radios he had left over from the 1920's.

Canford didn't exist when headphones started to be called cans. It started in the BBC in the 1930s probably because headphones in those days looked like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Brandes_Superior_Matched_Tone_c._1919-21.jpg

Ah - that's where I left them.

I had a pair presactly like those when I was a lad.

Having just made a tin cans and string toy for our 9 year old, I have the same suspicion. Before the days of cheap walkie talkies and so on, "cans" were the only communication toy available to children. When I was about 10 we had a network of strings and cans involving our back porch, a tree house, a convenient branch in another tree and the roof of our garage. The person on the back porch was the "master station" relaying messages as needed.

Archived