I need some help changing a DMX system with out paying

dj106fm

Hi thanks for viewing

the problem is that where I volunteer that have the chamsys magicq two universe DMX interface but they don't like the magicq software and cant spend any money on changing the system because the boss says they spent 500 pound on it and said it works fine so no need to replace it and now the have their harts sent on sweet light which also have their own DMX boxes which online work with their software the same as chamsys so could someone please find a way to use the chamysys box with the sweet light software the system is ran of a mac so the solution needs to be for mac

What don't you like about the Chamsys system? It is gaining some big name users in the industry, so I doubt it is unusable (certainly my brief sessions on it have been quite easy and productive).

Would training on how to use it fully be a better way forward?

Ok - Firstly, the location is very general - it's useful to know if you are in California USA, or California in Norfolk!

If they don't like MagicQ, the they probably won't like the other computer software either. MagicQ is a VERY competent, widely established package - BUT - like all computer systems, works best with real knobs.

The £500 is for a 2 universe interface, and free software. It sounds as if maybe they should have spent the money on a playback wing instead?

What is the problem? You've given us no information to work on. You say it works ok - so buying another control suggests it is a user problem. So - theatre, events, music??? What are you trying to do, and what kind of venue is it?

What equipment do you have on the other end of it?

For what it's worth - the MagicQ interface is useless to the other software you mention. It's an interface that also unlocks the more clever facilities in the free software.

I'd bet the Chamsys system you have will do what you want - but nobody knows how to work it!

So if you could stick in a rough location in your profile that would be nice.

Paul

So if you could stick in a rough location in your profile that would be nice.

Apparently not, as he is now "not allowed to disclose this information online" according to his profile http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

I am from the uk but that is all I can say and the reason we don't like the software is because the system was intended to be used to train teens who to use the software and it is to complicated for new starters to grasp the software quickly thats why they chose sweet light because it is easier to teach new people how to use it

Hi DJ106fm,

I am sorry the post I put above.

I am very new to Chamsys and have picked up on it very quickly and started to try new things on it and have bought the mini wing for it.

Software like Chamsys and the way it works is the is the same across alot of other computer software out there and lighting desk now. If I was one of the teen been taught to use lighting software I would like to be shown one that used out there alot and by other lighting engineers as well.

You already have what yo say is a functional control system, just because you or someone else doesn't like is isn't a real reason to change it. Probably now is a good time to learn that you sometimes have to learn to use the facilities that are available. Your place was funded with the Chamsys so it's time to get to know it, learn how to use it and learn how to teach others to use it. Some things in the ents industry really need to be understood before they work for you.

If you are really not allowed to say things on the internet then perhaps you shouldn't be on the internet at all. It really is helpful if you want to participate here to understand roughly where you are -UK county, EC Country, USA State etc especially with electrics and law the answers you need may vary according to your location.

I agree with dmxlights, MagicQ represents the 'industry standard' with regards to software - it works around a set of principles that all the big players in the console industry use. If you teach on MagicQ, those who are being taught will gain a hell of a lot more in useable experience - if you can op a chamsys you should have few problems opping many other desks that work with a (reasonably) similar syntax (i.e. Hog, Martin M series and Avo). I learned on a Chamsys and it has put me in good stead ever since.

For what it's worth, Chamsys is a damned good piece of software, even when you don't factor in the quality of their hardware - it can be used in a pretty basic way, ideal for teaching newcomers about the basics of lighting control, but when it needs to step up and become something much more advanced it's more than capable of meeting and exceeding the challenge.

I think perhaps you just need to give it some time, and put a bit of effort into getting to grips with the basics of the software rather than just writing it off - if you're coming to a lighting control system like this for the first time, without any prior experience, it can seem a little daunting at first glance until the penny drops, but once it does you'll be away. Get in touch with Chamsys and see whether they're running any training in your area at some point in the near future.

If you want to make it easier for beginners to take their first steps with lighting, MagicQ does have a 'simple' mode. Have a look at the screenshot on this page. Across the top of the screen you have 48 dimmers, and the playbacks across the bottom. Once people have become confident with this setup, they can easily access the full functionality of the software. And if they get stuck there is a very useful MagicQ forum.

I am from the uk but that is all I can say

Why? It seems quite strange, and not something I've ever come across in any forum I've visited. Seems a little odd to me given that almost everyone else on here has gone as far as telling everyone the venues they work in, not simply which part of the world they happen to live in

What do you have at the venue in way of dimmers, conventionals, movers and led's ? It helps people offer constructive suggestions if they know your needs.

Here's a link to the tech spec of the venue. It says they have a dozen moving lights and a couple of LED starcloths - no mention of dimmers or conventional lanterns, but surely there must be some in there somewhere? I'm not quite sure what a "fully remote and multi layered brightness main hall lighting system" is ...sounds like a fancy way of describing dimmable houselights :** laughs out loud **:.

Just put my tuppence... I am not a ChamSys person only because I haven't come across them in my travels - but do have experience of multiple desks ranging from manual direct dimmer (Strand Senior Sunset which was one down from a GrandMaster) up to an ETC ION. When I light a show at a new venue and find they have a desk which I haven't used before, I do something about it because get-in time at a hired venue is not the time to do the learning! As it happens one of my engagements next year might have a ChamSys desk by then if they can get the funding for it. I know this will do everything I could possibly want including any movers or LEDs I choose to include in my design even though I don't yet know exactly how.

Going back to the OP question: If your primary users are the students who only want to do simple lighting states, then someone else (possibly you?) has to be able to set it up for them. This might include focusing conventionals beforehand and preseting the movers to be static etc. then having a few sliders available for them to use to light the stage. For instance area A front light might have just two sliders - intensity and colour assuming some sort of intelligent fixture. But under the covers the desk has to be outputting to the same mover what orientation, focus, gobo and anything else is needed so that it can be used in this way. This sort of environment is very common for festivals etc (although usually lit by conventionals) and part of the resident technie's job is often to enable or disable advanced features needed by the next "client". The point is that the venue has to have someone who can do this otherwise each novice user has to learn how to setup the desk for themselves. Switching between modes I presume is just a case of loading a different "show" from a USB stick once they have been worked out and saved. Then all the novice needs to know is: 1. This is how you set the states you want. 2. This is how you save this state as a cue/scene. 3. This is how you play them back and fine tune things.

However, before you can start learning about a desk you need to understand theatre lighting in a more general sense. What lanterns you have, what they can be used for, what they cannot be used for, what colours are available, what rigging points, where DMX is available, how many dimmers, what power supply do you have etc etc etc! For most people on this forum this is bread and butter stuff but this might not be the case for the OP. However someone at the venue has to be capable of this. Changing the software to something else, which won't drive the DMX interfaces you already have, isn't the answer as the Chamsys system can be used for a multitude of different genres - theatre, event and rock to name just a few. It has to be adapted to suit your venue, that's all - but still needs a relative expert on how to use it for different productions - especially if the people coming in don't include an experiened LD or lighting programmer/

The OP is looking for something not theatrical pedigree such as MQ.

It seems by keep mentioning sweetlight this is a computer pedigree program, and as such the youth he mentions would fathom it quickly.

My 2P worth is Daslight as I started with this and in it's favour it is stupid simple easy to grasp. and sound activated, midi activated and comes with a visualiser 3D .

However changing from MQ will cost the price of an interface or 2. so as somebody previously mentioned training is the key to using what the OP already has, or purchasing interfaces for simpler software.

Archived