Smoke Machine - some ideas please!

mwp

Hi there,

Towards the end of April, we are holding a big dance festival with over 300 pupils involved. I have just about managed to persuade the school to hire a couple of Martin Acrobats - not too exciting I know, but good enough for our requirements. We hired the same lights last year, and I decided to bring in my Antari Alpha F80z to highlight the beams from the moving lights.

Due to access restrictions and the cramped audience around the dance floor, locaing this machine (with only 3m of remote cable) was pretty diffificult. I would have ideally liked to have hung it from one of the FOH bars above, but with such a short remote length, we couldn't have controlled it.

I ended up placing it on one of the corners of the dance floor near the audience. However, the smoke simply came out and went straight up, choking the nearby audience, and blocking our sight lines! The small amount of feeble mist that did reach the Acrobats was pretty awful and was an overall waste of time!

So, cutting to the point (!) can anyone suggest some ideas for where to locate the machine, bearing in mind I have got to keep gangways clear, not choke the audience, and make sure the smoke reaches the lights! I should point out that I have just this minute ordered a longer remote (8m) for the smoke machine from Maplins which also allows me to operate the smoke machine from a greater length.

I know I should probably be hiring a much better machine, but the funds simply aren't there, and for two nights, it is much more feasible for me to bring in my own machine.

Sorry is I'm rattling on a bit but I really would like a solution to this!

Cheers,

mwp

Well, if your trying to create a haze effect, (and it sounds like you are)...

If you place your smoke machine at the back of the stage, so you can get it as central as possible. Place a fan to one side of the smoke machines output, so it disperses the smoke into more of a fine haze.

Don't put the fan directly infront of the output, because it'll get covered in condensed smoke fluid.

Ive seen a desk fan used well mulitpule ones on multipule smoke m/c's. If you are already running Acrobats, then you should be able to put a DMX fan in to the system on to a submaster so you can have a varied smoke to haze.

Do you know of any cheap DMX fans apart from the JEM smoke fan?

Yes. Any old fan, plugged into a switch pack. Or one of your dimmers set to switch.

(Yes I'm aware that this isn't recommended, but if you don't dim it, just switch it, the chance of damaging the dimmer is virtually nil.)

Archived